How to transport a smoked turkey?

George Santos

TVWBB Member
I will have to transport a smoked turkey to a relative not far from home, about 20 miles. What I think is the best for me to do is cover the turkey with foil paper, then cover it with a towel, place it in my cooler and run.

Nevertheless I would like to see any comments, suggestions. Any body has transported a smoked turkey before? How you did it?

:cool:

When I smoked two breasts for work, I sliced them, placed them in a disposable foil pan, covered it with foil, put a heating pad and a towel below it and a towel above it in a cooler. When I got to work I plugged in the heating pad.

Last edited:
Given the need to rest the bird after removing from the smoker, I would suggest you have the correct idea.

Yep you have the right plan...maybe warming up the cooler with heating pads or warm towels...other than that I think you will have no problems!!

I'm also transporting a turkey and then serving 2-3 hrs after I complete smoking it. Is the foil+cooler method in the apple brine recipe the best approach to use?

Thanks!

Thanks for your answers guys. Dwain, yours is a great idea I just won't be using my heating pad because will be a short time in the cooler. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

Back