how to protect deck

I got my wsm last year, I purchased a fiber board grill mat. When I put it away for winter , I found that it faded and there was some blistering of the maintance free decking. This year I'm planning on puting the mat back down then puting patio blocks that are about two and one half inches thick on top of the mat then setting the wsm on top of the patio blocks, will this help protect the maintance free decking or will the patio blocks create more heat. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Hi Terry.
Any mat or patio blocks on a wood, or composite deck, will trap moisture underneath. ( which will cause blistering on a composite deck, or will shorten the life on a wood deck. )
My advice is that you move your WSM occasionally to a different location, and flip your mat over to dry. Especially after a rain.

HTH

Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Terry Hazelgrove:
I got my wsm last year, I purchased a fiber board grill mat. When I put it away for winter , I found that it faded and there was some blistering of the maintance free decking. This year I'm planning on puting the mat back down then puting patio blocks that are about two and one half inches thick on top of the mat then setting the wsm on top of the patio blocks, will this help protect the maintance free decking or will the patio blocks create more heat. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I made a platform of bricks for my WSM and one for my charcoal chimney. No problem with my wooden deck so far. Cheap and effective.

yeah i have a composite deck as well. im a little too paranoid to let it sit directly on rice/plastic mix. so i stuck a couple of cinder blocks underneath my WSM so there is enough of a gap between the bottom of the WSM and my deck. Added bonus for me is the height boost so i don"t have to bend over as much. Does anyone know what the bottom of WSM Temperature gets upto? I know the guys who made my composite decking so i can find out any melting points.

DSC04302.jpg

its not pretty but i know its safe for now

Thanks, for the info and picture. I did not think about The moisture, I'm going to use some blocks to keep it higher off the deck and not not use the mat.

Back