How to properly set up & use a blower / temp control system? Are they worth it?

Hello all! I know I’m a little late to the party! I own two Weber kettles. I just bought the new INKBIRD ISC-027bw ATC and two different PID controllers with the accessories (k-thermocouples and SSR’s(solid state relay)) along with several different centrifugal fans. Can’t have too strong of a fan! Since I only have on/off control! That’s what I’m thinking, at least. I’m seriously considering buying either a Akorn or Expert Grill Kamado this summer. I love barbecued chicken and ribs! Weber kettles are very nostalgic for me. It’s the only grill my dad ever used. I love them. With an ATC and a Kamado, I might take on a few briskets! Thanks to this forum and YouTube I have many barbecue adventures planned for this summer! I’m excited! I think I will love ATC! I hate barbecue cooked on pellets!

Hello all! I know I’m a little late to the party! I own two Weber kettles. I just bought the new INKBIRD ISC-027bw ATC and two different PID controllers with the accessories (k-thermocouples and SSR’s(solid state relay)) along with several different centrifugal fans. Can’t have too strong of a fan! Since I only have on/off control! That’s what I’m thinking, at least. I’m seriously considering buying either a Akorn or Expert Grill Kamado this summer. I love barbecued chicken and ribs! Weber kettles are very nostalgic for me. It’s the only grill my dad ever used. I love them. With an ATC and a Kamado, I might take on a few briskets! Thanks to this forum and YouTube I have many barbecue adventures planned for this summer! I’m excited! I think I will love ATC! I hate barbecue cooked on pellets!
Checkout the weber summit kamado...

For the record, you can now get a Lipo battery to power the billows - no more need for an AC outlet.

billows-12v-battery-bank_generic-01__98091.1637617262.jpg

First off, I have to get one of those batteries. Running an extension cord is a PITA.

Back to the original topic :) Also late to the party but I've used the Flameboss, the UltraQ, and the TW Signals w/Billows on multiple kettles and so far the Signals/Billows combo is the best all around option for me on my WSK. Installation was easy, and frankly I just leave the Billows on there capped when I'm not using it.

I've used the Billows to hold temps anywhere from 225 up to 400 using different fuel setups (SnS, lower grate/heat diffuser, upper grate/charcoal baskets) and it's never failed to perform. Plus the signals Bluetooth/Wifi connectivity is the best of the bunch and their probes are top notch.

My only gripe is true first world/superflous, but I wish their Apple Watch app actually worked. That's it.

Anyway, like I said late to the party, but I flog this setup where I can since I've tried a few and none of worked even close to this well.

Can’t have too strong of a fan!
Yes, you can have too strong of a fan, especially if you don't have speed control or a controlled damper assembly. You don't want a fan that blows full bore for a few seconds every minute, especially if it gets your fire running too well. Some times, the bigger hammer isn't the answer.

Yes, you can have too strong of fan.
On-off only.....not good

Poor control = poor food. Lots of white smoke when fan speeds up to get new coals lit. Ash blown up and deposited on food too.

Back to the OP question...
Yes, they're worth it when configured and used properly. Easy as an oven.
But they can also be worse than no controller at all when used poorly.

Back