How to make dry black beans like canned?

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I'm looking for easy.

I don't care how long it takes, I don't have a pressure cooker or instapot. I have a crock pot.

Soak? Yes or no. If yes, How long?

Drain? Yes or no.

Cook? Ratio of water to beans?

Add spices in while cooking?

What I'm aiming for is how much lead time, and how much dry to get equiv of a 15 oz can.

Oh yeah and I'm hoping for easy.

Last edited:
I think I have a few answers except for the size one!

Crockpot - all good just need to cover plus low heat, oven or hob

Soak - I never do. Just straight in. Feel it adds more bite and allows beans to take on flavour. Would always soak red kidney beans though, they are only exception.

Cook - I would do so the beans are completely covered then do a couple of peeks to see if needs topping up a bit

Spices - definitely! I find the no soak, cook in aromatics gives a really tasty bean with lots of flavour all the way through.

Time - depends on how old the beans are etc but I would be looking at 2-4 hours at a low heat.

I think beans super easy tbh. I just throw in all together, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer and check water levels every so often. Then just start checking for doneness

Remembered the recipe I originally used! An easy no soak recipe (paywall but should be able to read one recipe free)

It's not as much the flavor I'm trying to get, but the ease of opening a can and having the consistency. I've used canned black beans for years and I'd like to try to switch to dried beans

I'm looking for easy.

I don't care how long it takes, I don't have a pressure cooker or instapot. I have a crock pot.

Drain? Yes or no.

What I'm aiming for is how much lead time, and how much dry to get equiv of a 15 oz can.

Can't remember if you have an Instant Pot? I do all my beans in that now from dry. I've used this black bean recipe, but there are many more out there....

You can do this in a stock pot, too, just takes (a lot) longer. :)

R

It's not as much the flavor I'm trying to get, but the ease of opening a can and having the consistency. I've used canned black beans for years and I'd like to try to switch to dried beans
Beans are cheap, I’d start with Richard’s plan, if you don’t like them, try something else.
My Alabama BIL does his pinto beans in the crock pot and I’m told they are incredible, he adds peppers and onion with pork chops on the bottom, 8 hours on low.

Like @Rich G ,I do all of my beans in the Instant Pot. If you're like me and prefer to season when you use them, just water and the beans. Wait until they're done and then salt to taste. I generally cook for 15 minutes and allow a natural pressure release. This leaves them fairly firm so they're not mushy when used in a recipe that requires some cooking. If I'm just making a pot of beans or chili, I add everything except the salt and cook for 30 minutes with a natural release then salt to taste.

Measure beans. Ensure no rocks.

Boil a bunch of water.

Pour beans into boiled water and cover and shut off flame.

Let rest 1 hour.

Drain and rinse beans after one hour. I do three rinses.

Cover beans with an inch of water.

Bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer, covered. Cook for 45 mins or until tender. Make sure you don’t lose all the water. Add a cup of water at a time if losing too much water.

Season when the beans are tender.

I like salt, pepper and cumin.

I'm looking for easy.

Drain? Yes or no.

Easy?

1707079754187.png

Coming back to this post as I did an experiment which did not work out!

Threw a batch of beans into a foil tray and stuck in my WSM drip pan during a pulled pork cook. The idea being catch the juices from the pork, use it as a water source and help with cleanup.

After a seven hour cook the beans were still pretty hard. The sauce was delicious and picked up loads of smoky flavour but the beans were definitely not done. Feels like they need a blast at a higher temp, or a longer cook (maybe with a brisket?), or fresher beans, or a soak beforehand.

Anyway no dramas, as Timothy says above beans are cheap. But was hoping to come back to you with 'this is a super lazy method' and not quite there yet!

Coming back to this post as I did an experiment which did not work out!

Threw a batch of beans into a foil tray and stuck in my WSM drip pan during a pulled pork cook. The idea being catch the juices from the pork, use it as a water source and help with cleanup.

After a seven hour cook the beans were still pretty hard. The sauce was delicious and picked up loads of smoky flavour but the beans were definitely not done. Feels like they need a blast at a higher temp, or a longer cook (maybe with a brisket?), or fresher beans, or a soak beforehand.

Anyway no dramas, as Timothy says above beans are cheap. But was hoping to come back to you with 'this is a super lazy method' and not quite there yet!
Interesting concept, maybe a three or four hour soak beforehand?

They need to do a boil then simmer so I do a quick soak followed by a pre cook on the range.
Then pop it in the smoker under a butt or brisket, good stuff! after a few hours.

Back