How to make baby backs less greasy?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is true I never do Baby Backs so the 3 -2 -1 rule is used for St. Loouis Spares! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Baby backs. I almost never do spares. I sometimnes do country-style, but that's a whole different animal (figuritively speaking, of course)..

Jason,
Please help us understand. You were willing to use a GAS grill to BBQ ribs, but using foil is sacrilege? I think you need to accept that you are already a sinner /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and put some foil on those ribs and see if that works for you.

Jason
If they are greasy they need more time render fat.
This meat sometimes doesn't understand that it's suposed to be done and it takes longer.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
[qb] Jason,
Please help us understand. You were willing to use a GAS grill to BBQ ribs, but using foil is sacrilege? I think you need to accept that you are already a sinner /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif and put some foil on those ribs and see if that works for you. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have to agree. You seem to be picking a choosing what makes you a "purist". You made the point in another post that you use a wireless system to monitor your WSM and many consider that technology handholding. IMO I don't care how it's done. As long as the end result is good I could really care less. I mean does it really hurt to put some foil on it? Say for instance that the only way to keep the ribs from becoming greasy was to foil them. Would you foil then? I don't know. Maybe I don't appreciate the purist's ways but I do know one thing. I like convenience. I'm willing to pay extra for things that make my life easier. Ok I'm rambling now.

I just hope you figure out your problem. I know it can be frustrating.

I simply don't want to foil, it's a free country. And I never claimed to be a purist. If someone else wants to foil, let them foil.

Results may be all that matters to some but for me the journey is often more enjoyable then the destination. I enjoy a session of cooking whether it be on the stove, the grill or the WSM. I would not enjoy the WSM if I was foiling my ribs so it'd be a pointless exercise. I'd be willing to wager that most of us here enjoy the process more than the result despite what we may tell ourselves and spouses to justify our obsessions. If someone gave me a robot that would cook perfect BBQ I would probably not use it since I enjoy cooking myself. And apparently I'm not the only person who doesn't like foil.

Again, this whole argument is probably moot since from what I've read here and elsewhere it looks as if I simply need to cook them a bit longer.

As an aside there was a debate on what makes a BBQ purist on USENET not too long ago. I lurked with some amusement for a while and finally decided to show those guys they were splitting hairs. I replied with the following which shut them up and seemed to prove my point:

"I'm a true BBQ purist. I bite a piece of raw meat then pop a burning chunk of wood into my mouth. Anything added to the process is cheating and not pure BBQ."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Flynn:
[qb]
"I'm a true BBQ purist. I bite a piece of raw meat then pop a burning chunk of wood into my mouth. Anything added to the process is cheating and not pure BBQ." [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thats pretty good. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I probably used the term purist too loosely but we're all on the same page. I agree that the journey to finished 'Q' is half the fun. Especially when you've gotten a pretty good knack for what you're suppsosed to do.

Well,
Funny points about religon and BBQ Jerry N.
The person that taught me the foiling technique was a high priest of Q, Ray Lampe aka Dr. BBQ. I respect Jason's point if he doent want to use foil he doesn't have too. But several practictioners of the craft far more experienced than me use it with great results.
If the process includes cleaning up count me in for enjoying the results more.

Purist do not like change, but the reality is there are very few purist out there. They learned a method that they call pure but for someone else something would make it otherwise.

Foil is a tool and should be thought of as such. Great BBQ is cooked without it and I can tell you that great BBQ is cooked using it. Learn the techniques and use them as needed.
Jim
PS: I will be teaching a class on the 27th of this month and the students will learn how to cook both with and without using foil.

Doug
Yes we will by offering class the first day of competitions. We will have more info shortly about places and dates.
Jim

BBQ, Smoking, Grilling, it is all so subjective based on who you talk to in different parts of the country its not or shouldn't even be an issue. Generally speaking IMO anyone that uses "purist" in the same sentence with bbq, smoking, or grilling already has missed the boat and knows not what he/she spews forth.

You want to get down to brass tacks anyone that uses any type of grill, smoker, or otherwise man made material, fire containing apparatus. is not a "purist".

Its widely accepted at least in this country that original true "BBQ" as we know it was nothing more then a pit in the ground, assorted burnt down to coals wood, and the animal thrown in on top and covered.

Brought here by the slaves by way of the West Indies.

I say...BBQ should be anything that associates food cooked in a manner that inspires communal gatherings around a heat source, fostering happiness and claims that what is being consumed is the best there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back