How to keep chicken warm for a crowd?

Ken Keating

TVWBB Fan
I’m cooking 12 whole chickens for a crowd tonight. I figure I can do 6 chickens at a time, so I’ll do one batch of 6 and then a 2nd batch. Need some help on what to do with the 1st batch when it’s done. I figure after the 1st batch is finished there will be a three-hour wait until dinner is served . Do I foil and put the batch in the oven at 140 degrees or put them into a pre-heated cooler. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks, Ken

Hi Ken
I think you have the right ideas and I have done both with large turkey breasts. I have put the birds in the cooler tightly wrapped in foil and individual towels and then an hour before serving put them in the oven, excluding the towels, at 170 degrees to make sure they are at a safe temp. Let us know how everything turns out.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rob:

I ended up putting the chickens into a cooler. Three hours later they were still to hot to pick up! Even better is that everyone really liked the chicken!

Thanks, Ken

Happy to hear that Ken...........did you try wrapping in towels for the extra insulation? I find the least air circulation in the cooler, the better?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back