How to gift barbecue?

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm trying to think of good ways to give barbecue as a gift this holiday season.

I have two $10 gift exchange parties (one for work and another for family - both are the type where gifts are opened then stolen/traded). I'd also like to find a way to give barbecue as a gift to close friends, etc..

I'm not settled on the type of meat ... could be turkey, pulled port, brisket, or ribs.

Have any of you given barbecue as a gift? If so, how did you handle the logistics? Did you deliver the barbecue immediately after being cooked? Cook on-site? Refrigerate? Freeze?

I read a previous discussion where someone said they froze a rack of ribs and used that for a party gift exchange. Would they keep well in that setting?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

If you can vacuum seal, I would vac-seal a pound of pulled pork and put it in a little gift basket with a package of slider rolls and a bottle of sauce. You could keep the vac-sealed package in the fridge until gift-giving time, or alternatively put the whole gift pack (pork, rolls, sauce, etc) in a disposable styrofoam cooler on ice. This would probably still work if the pork was in tupperware or some other appropriate, disposable container as well.

John P

You could put a gift certificate in the box, and then cook it up for the recipient at a later date that works for the both of you. If we donate a box of meat for an event, that is what we do, and then the people can pick it up when they need it.

Bottom Dollar food has butts for .89/lb this week. i plan on getting 4 to do this weekend and food saving them in 1 pound increments just for christmas. i will freeze and give all the guys at work a bag and 1 cup of my pulled pork sauce. i think that is a more thoughtful gift than just going out and buying a 5-10 dollar gift

Back