how to get a huge smoke ring on spares?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I'm doing a somewhat small spares cook tomorrow for 2 friends of mine and myself. They've never had "real" ribs before (other than those at the local Q joint, which are about the worst I've ever tasted/looked at). Anyway, I want to indoctrinate them into the world of real ribs. I especially want to get a big smoke ring. Anybody have any ideas on how to get a good one, a HUGE one? My ideas were:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Chilling the ribs slightly before putting them in the wsm; <LI> Keeping the temperature really low for the first couple hours of the cook; <LI> mopping with cool liquid(something I never do)[/list]

Anybody have any comments or other ideas?

I doubt mopping will gain you much, and spares are so thin, that if you do what your proposing, you may have smoke ring all the way through the meat, and won't even see the ring.

But I think you have the right idea...

Use cherry wood. Wont do much extra for the smoke ring but will give the ribs an awesome pink color compared to that gray crap that you get in rest.
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Agreed, Clark. And mopping just prolongs the cook.

A key is chilled ribs. I remove mine from the fridge, salt them, get the WSM ready, then light the coals for a MM start. Then I make the rub, apply it over the now-moistened-from-being-salted meat, dump the lit, assemble and load in the meat. They're cold enough, still, at that point.

This post (with pics) describes a high-heat bback cook. Though I MM'd the start, I didn't slow the rise in temp. Cook time was 2.25 hours start-till-done, plus 7 more min to set the thin glaze while I finished the sides. Decent ring I thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

This post (with pics) describes a high-heat bback cook. Though I MM'd the start, I didn't slow the rise in temp. Cook time was 2.25 hours start-till-done, plus 7 more min to set the thin glaze while I finished the sides. Decent ring I thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,

It's funny...I remembered that post and actually searched for it. Couldn't find it though. Nice looking ribs.

I never mop (well, I think I did on my very first cook). Never really understood the point....but I thought it might cool the surface enough to allow for more ring formation.

Tim--

If I had access to cherry, i'd use it. But I'd need to order it off the internet.

Back