How to freeze peppers?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
I have a bunch of peppers from the garden; bell and jalapeno. Can I throw them in the freezer whole, right out of the garden or do I have to do something to them first? I know I can freeze the bells without the seeds but can the jalapenos be frozen seeds and all? I already have a few jars of pickled jalapenos so I don't need any more of those.

Dave,

What I've done in the past for jalapenos is cut the tops off and seed the inside with a paring knife and vacuum pack them. That way I can dice them later for cooking with, or stuff them whole for cooking on the grill.

You can freeze whole or you can seed first, either way. I usually freeze whole, and usually pick only when ripe. Unripe jals are ubiquitous, ripe are nearly impossible to find unless there's a good farmers market around.

Thanks guys. Yea Kevin, I'm only picking them when they get red, both of the peppers. I want to keep the seeds in them for the heat . I found the red ones seem a little sweeter and a little less hot but maybe I'm just getting used to them. Another thing I learned was after eating the red ones I don't want to go back to the green ones. Do you vacuum seal them or will they stay good if you just put them in a plastic bag?

Dave, I've frozen in just a ZipLock before and in a chest type freezer they lasted a while. In a self defrost, without the benefit of vac packing, I ended up with a bit of frost within a few weeks.

Yeah, green are kind of insipid. Fine when you need the unripe vegetal flavors, which I do on occasion, but I much prefer the fuller, fruitier, peppery-er, flavor of ripe peppers.

Many jalapeño varieties have been created especially for the American market, i.e., hybridized to lessen the heat. You never know what you're getting. Though the fruitier, sweeter flavor can soften the heat a bit there are varieties that are better if you're looking for more heat. Try the early jal from Seeds of Change or the Chile Grande from Pepper Gal, among others, for next year.

If I have a lot I vac multiple bags for the freezer. I sometimes Ziploc a bag or two as well - those I use first. Vac bags can be cut, some peppers removed, then re-vac'd, but Ziploc'd peppers last for some time, though they can get frosty as Marc notes.

Sorry to beat a dead horse but will the peppers last all winter in the food saver bag even when I keep reusing it.

Yes. Trim the bag close to the seal to open ir, remove some peppers, dry the opening if necessary, re-vac, re-seal, put back in freezer.

Back