How to flip the grate inside a Weber Chimney?

ChrisV

TVWBB Fan
I read that some people here have flipped the grate inside of the Weber Chimneys which I think is an excellent idea. It will allow it to hold more coals and puts the bottom coals closer to the heat source.

Thing is (any maybe I'm just being an idiot here ?) but how in the world do you get that grate out and flipped around with bending the hell out of the chimney itself?

Glad you brought this up Chris, been meaning to do it for a long time.

I just went out and flipped mine using a long bladed screwdriver prying between the outside ring of the grate, near each tab, and the body of the chimney.
Took some force, but only took me a couple of minutes.
Getting it back in was a small challenge, but not too bad.

This was on an older, well used chimney with a rusted grate, new or newer ones might be harder to flip.
Be aware that this brings the tip of the cone close to the bottom of the chimney base and could be a problem if lighting off the side burner of a gas grill.

Last edited:
I almost stabbed myself with a screwdriver when I did this to my chimney. I decided to bend it out of shape reverse it and bend it back into shape.

Good information Bob. Mine are relatively newer and aren't left outside so no rust. When I tried to do what you did I could tell all I was doing was bending the cylinder. I think I may only do this to my mini chimney? I do use the side burner on my gasser for the larger chimney so I think I'll leave that one alone.

Dustin, I thought about doing it the way you described but it didn't seem like the grate would bend that easily? I'm actually now considering just drilling the rivets out that hold it all together, flip it and re-rivet it?

Thing is (any maybe I'm just being an idiot here ?) but how in the world do you get that grate out and flipped around with bending the hell out of the chimney itself?

Drill or grind off the head of the rivits holding it together. Flip the grate and reassemble the chimney with small bolts.

Mine is a several years old but I was able to just pop one tab at a time without too much difficulty. Unless there has been a design change shouldn't need to drill out rivits!

Back