How to Cook Pasture Raised Brisket

Andrew D-TX

Folks,

This spring I started purchasing pasture raised briskets. My 'personal rancher' had never sold them for smoking before. She usually had them ground into hamburger. Hence, she had little advice to provide.

I think I've finally, after 5 briskets, 'cracked the nut' on how to cook these. First, pasture raised beef actually walk around alot. Feedlot beef don't. Hence, the pasture brisket is tougher. It also has less fat on the surface. I now cook them upwards of 2 hours per pound with a 250 degrees lid temperature. Second, I baste both sides of the brisket 'on the halves' to keep the bark somewhat tender. Third, I flip the brisket over at the first half and then 'un-flip' it at the next half.

Finally, I cook to a temperature of 185-190 and let it rest for an hour. This results in a brisket that is still juicy but tender. In other words, it tastes like my Costco briskets but with the benefit of buying local. The price is definitely higher at $4.00 a pound. (That is the same price she charges for hamburger.)

Has this been a good experiment? Yes. But when I do benefit smoking, I will probably use Costco briskets. $1.69 a pound is what the non-profit wants to spend.

Andrew

P.S. If I ask, my rancher will tell me the name of the cow/steer I'm eating.

P.P.S. Her tenderloins are very good though and are cost competitive with the CAB at my local high end market. She is raising Red Angus cattle.

Enjoyed the info cooking pasture raised brisket. I've been wondering why there is not more discussion on the relative merits different quality meats, including pasture raised. It seems as BBQ enthusiasts we spend much more time worrying about our charcoal, smokewood, rubs, mops, and the like, with little or no thought about the quality of the meat we are using. I know of no other type of cooking where so little thought seems to be afforded the quality of the ingredient being used. Is this because the nature of BBQ is to cook inexpensive, tough cuts of meat? Are there any folks who have had experience with cooking some different types of meat (angus, grassfed, free-range, etc.)? Has there been a noticable difference in the outcome?

I recently BBQ some grassfed chicken. It was excellent and particularly moist. However, the flavor difference was less noticable than when I simply oven roasted the chicken, in which case the flavor was much more intense -- the chicken actually tasted like chicken (or you might even say the chicken tasted more like turkey).

There's been a fair amount of discussion about grass-fed, pastured and free-range meats (and bison as well). You'll find it with a search under the Find tab.

For many, these items are unavailable, scarce, or prohibitively expwnsive. Also, truly grass-fed and -finished beef is virtually never graded as the grading system is skewed in favor of grained beeves: they'd grade low because they're leaner. Though I love steaks from grassed beef, the leanness dissuades me from going out of my way to obtain the typical Q cuts. (They're given to me from time to time but I usually do other things with them.)

Pastured pork is another matter. It's fattier than mass market pork so is richer and more full-flavored. I far prefer it and either raise a pig or two or purchase it when possible.

Free range chickens I buy exclusively.

Fair points about the price and leanness of some grass-fed cuts. These products are, fortunately, becoming far more widely available. And, I will be sure to search the board a bit more on this topic.

In general, however, I do find that the Q community does by and large focus more extensively on techniques, recipes and equipment than on the quality of the main ingredient -- the meat.

Back