How to cook, hold and reheat a brisket?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I'm planning to cook 2 briskets for Easter Sunday (one for us, another for my wife's aunt). The latter I need to deliver to her house the evening before, so here's my plan:

1. Prep both (I'm going to aim for 10-12 lbs) Friday after work and get them in my WSM (18.5) around 11 PM (full load of charcoal, foiled, sand-filled water pan)
2. Cook at 240-260 until they hit about 200 IT, estimating noon to 1 PM Saturday
3. Separate the point from both and put back in for a few more hours (for burnt ends), then cube it up

This is where I get lost. Conventional wisdom is to wrap it in foil, maybe with some beef broth or other liquid and rest in a cooler. However, given that the brisket will need to be reheated the following day, I was thinking of foil wrap (with no liquid) and into the fridge for a quick cool-down? I figure I'd tell her to open up the foil, add a can of beef broth and heat in a 250 oven for a couple hours. Sort of the same deal with the burnt ends.

Does this seem like it would work? Or would it be better to pull the brisket a bit early and finish it the next day? I'd like to keep the reheat process as short, simple and straightforward as possible.

I'd suggest an ice bath to cool off instead of the fridge, and I'd cook it all at once so you just had to reheat and possibly re-firm the bark.. You'll get better more experienced answers soon. We want pictures

Actually, I just stumbled across this article: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cook_today_serve_tomorrow.html

That sounds like it might be the best way to go. I'm actually thinking of foiling, then vacuum sealing (I'll need to look for a couple fairly narrow briskets) the flats and dropping them into an ice bath to chill quickly while the points are back on the smoker. Vacuum sealing will make 'em watertight and easy to transport without leakage, too.

For the brisket you want to save, I'd vac seal it as soon as it's cool enough to handle (that should give it good resting time), and do a double seal on the vac bags.

Then drop it in ice to chill to just above frozen. You don't want to freeze it for storage since you'll use it the next day, but you also don't want it to be held at room temp for very long due to pathogens and all that crap.

Once it's sealed and quick chilled, put it in the fridge until you're ready. Reheat it by bringing a pot of water to a simmer, just below boil, think about 160-190 degrees, just to loosen it up and warm it through, and place the brisket in for about 20-30 minutes until you think it's heated through.

Resist all temptation to slice the brisket before vac sealing... I'd even skip removing the point for the one you're saving and just serve it as moist (point) or lean (flat) when you carve it the next day.

I just did this yesterday and it worked perfectly for a potluck. I smoked the brisket on Monday. Opened the foil for a bit as suggested on howtobbqright.com to let steam escape. Re wrapped. FTC for an hour or so. Took it out of the foil and let it rest on my cutting board. Sliced it and placed it in my large oval crockpot standing on their edges so it looked like an unsliced brisket. I packed it in two rows one on top of the other packed tightly against the sides. I then cooled it in my fridge in the crockpot. The next day i put about 1/8 of an inch of apple juice in the bottom for the crock pot. I spritzed the brisket with apple juice/cider vinegar mixture and topped with BBQ sauce. Turned the crockpot on high for two hours and took it to the lunch. The pieces held together perfectly and could still be lifted with tongs. I was worried it would fall apart since it bent perfectly without breaking when I first sliced it over the back of my knife. This was the first time I tried anything like this and I'm sure you will get 100 better answers but I just wanted to share what worked for me. It was wiped out before the other items and everyone gave rave reviews. It was a "choice" grade brisket and I did inject it so that may have helped too. Ken

Back