How to Configure RPi A+ for Heatermeter access?

ScottZ

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to configure a board with the A+ board? I can boot up fine with an hdmi connection, but I can't access the OpenWRT webpage until the WiFi is configured to my network. So where do I need to go so setup the WiFi settings so it can get an IP to where I can access it? Having only one USB port makes it challenging.

Scott

Are there any instructions anywhere on how to configure a board with the A+ board? I can boot up fine with an hdmi connection, but I can't access the OpenWRT webpage until the WiFi is configured to my network. So where do I need to go so setup the WiFi settings so it can get an IP to where I can access it? Having only one USB port makes it challenging.

Scott

From the wiki page,

Both AP and client mode are supported, and starting with LinkMeter v12 the device will be configured as an open Access Point with the name (SSID) "heatermeter", on IP address http://192.168.201.1/ or http://OpenWrt.local/ (only if connecting through the wifi.)

I did not use this method to setup my heater meter, so I'm not 100% sure this will work. The heater meter, assuming the initial setup is correct, should be set up by default as an open WiFi access point. So just connect to it with a WiFi enabled device such as a laptop. Now, I think by default the openwrt image used does not have its dhcp server enabled so you will have to configure a static IP to be able to communicate with the RPI. Use the IP 192.168.201.2 and subnet 255.255.255.0. You should not need any other numbers. From there you should be able to follow the wiki instructions under the software section.

Hope that helps you.

Sal

Glad you were able to get it working. You would only have needed to connect to the heatermeter directly once to configure it to join your home network. After that one time setup you would have been able to access the device like any other on your home network. Basically the first 2 or 3 steps would have been different than the link you shared. Once connected directly the steps would have been the same and you could switch the laptop back to using your regular dhcp address and still connect to the heatermeter. Maybe this will help someone else looking for the same info.

Sal

Back