How to clean Stainless??

DJensen

TVWBB Member
In the two years I've owned my Summit, it's come to look a bit... tarnished. It's been well-used, and the smoke is just making the lid look bad. How are y'all cleaning yours? Give me your best ideas!

Barkeepers Friend.

Stainless is hard to clean and I prefer the porcelain models for this reason. Is the summit polished stainless? If it is brushed stainless if you clean it thoroughly with an abrasive you may polish just that spot and make it look spotty.

Maybe try the stainless steel wipes that are used for refrigerators. You can find them at the grocery store with all the other polishes and cleaners.

I have the same problem, and I was considering using Barkeep's Friend. However, I decided not to use for the reasons that James mentions at the end of his post.

According to Weber CS you should only use warm water and mild soap. As we all know that method doesn't work so well.

Iam willing to try other methods, so let's hear some.

I use the Weiman SS cleaner and polish and it leaves the grill looking great.I don't know how it would be at undoing years of neglect, worth a try though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:

According to Weber CS you should only use warm water and mild soap. As we all know that method doesn't work so well.

I am willing to try other methods, so let's hear some. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The soap and water work but like a lot of things, you have to keep up on it. Once you let something go, it's much more difficult.

I've typically used oven cleaner on the brushed aluminum around my range top. It's a targeted application though. You don't just spray wild. That has worked well followed with a plastic scrubbie.

The other product I moved to seems to work just as well but does not seem to affect painted surfaces like the oven cleaner does is Dawn Power Disolver. Let it sit for a bit then follow with a plastic scrubbie and then rinse wipe usually does it.

DPD

I've used this stuff for sparying then soaking wire grill grates as well. Also for cleaning the stainless parts and ring of the EZ-Que rotisserie set up. Works great and I keep several bottles on hand. Wife even uses it for cleaning the grout on the tile counter tops.

I'll second the DPD. If you have something like a GFS in the area you can pick up the big industrial sized bottle for a good price.

Tim

Back