How small is too small

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
Friends, I beseech you for some wisdom.

I've been smoking butts on my 18" WSM for long enough that I do so with no fear and plenty of praise. I am frequently requested to Q and affirmed highly. So I'm not a novice by any means. Yet recently I have a quandary.

All butts I smoke are 6 to 9 pounds and I use multiples of those weights to feed whatever sized crowd. Now I would like to smoke a butt for just my family, or just a small occasion, and my expectation is that a 3 or 4 lb butt would render the right amount of meat. The problem is that I don't suspect my usual method of 2 hours per pound at 215 or 220 would work. I think a 3 lb butt would in no way be done in 6 hours, not tender, juicy, crusty, and flavorful.

Yes I could waste $10 a few times and a few days of efforts to experiment but I'd rather benefit from any wisdom learned here. So what say anybody? Are there tricks, special efforts, anything needed to smoke a very single very small butt to quality? And no, smoking a bigger one and freezing leftovers is not an option.

Thanks for any help.

I've never cooked a butt that small and I cook them around 250, so I can't tell you about how much time, but if I was you, I would just cook it like you normally do. If you usually cook 2 hrs/lb, plan for that. It may take a little more or less time, but you seem to have lots of experience and should be able to tell when it's done. I only use time and temperature as a rough guide when I'm Q'ing; it's done when it's done.

Thanks Lew. I'm with you: time and temp are guides, not guarantees. Done when done. My concern is that for the "done" of collagen breakdown and bark formation the little bit of inside on such a small butt will be dry as a crisp. I'll end up giving it a try, but help is always appreciated! Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement!

If you're cooking at 215-220 then I wouldn't worry about it. At those low temps the butt will be fine.

I would only worry if you were cooking over 300.

Think of it like cooking some very meaty ribs. I'm sure when you cook those they turn out tender and juicy without being too "crispy" right?

Good luck and let us know how it goes

Thanks Justin! I never thought of a comparison to ribs. Too right! I'll give it a try.

For the record, my desire is to smoke a small butt for the family, simmer it in a chile and tomato sauce, and make some pork tacos for supper one night. Sounds delicious, but time will tell.

I'm smoking a 3 lb chuck roast tomorrow. I don't see any reason that a small pork shoulder would respond any differently than a larger one. Just keep in mind that your cooking time is going to be more dependent on the thickness of the meat than the weight.

I can't exactly answer your question, as my butts are also upwards of 9 lbs, even when just for our household. But we freeze our leftovers in Foodsaver bags and warm in boiling water for quick meals. To us, it tastes perfectly fine.

I do 3-4 lb butts occasionally, for the same reason you describe. You can use the same temperature and rub. A 3 lb butt will take less time than a 9 lb butt but not as much less as the weight suggests. If your 9 lb butt might take you 18 hrs, simple math at 2 hr/lb would suggest 6 hrs for the 3 lb version, but it will probably be more like 12.

good day! two good bits here...one, the 3 pounder is for the family, and they if any guest is most tolerant and easily understands as mentioned in prior posts, 'its done when its done...' second, knowing you seek the best to be, and the smoking pluses, along with your seasonings, simmering in chili will help the break down and cooking to the point you want. which, in itself, is something to consider, once finished on the smoker, slow cooked in the chili, you don't want the chance of your work turning to mush. my thought, i am partial to one or two sticks with an instant read. good luck, however, by what i have read so far, not to worry, you got it covered. enjoy!

Back