How Old is that Store Display?

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, I am finding I am liking my Breville Precision Brew enough to possibly invest in a brand new one. So perusing Amazon and EBay. Finding an "Open Box" unused Best Buy actually store display I could consider. Seller has posted photos and it truly looks unused and responded to my request to send the batch and S/N tags to show mfg date. And come to find out seller has confirmed it just sat on display at a Best Buy, but mfg date is 2017! Do stores actually keep an appliance on their shelves THAT long? Seller has assured me it's never made a drop of coffee. And looking at photos no reason to doubt him. But, 6 years?! What if I tried to register that thing for warranty? Just thinking maybe saving $130-$150 is not really worth it as who knows if after sitting so long it's actually able to function normally?

It's a risk reward thing, plus some people think old stuff is better than newly made stuff. If you want it lower your expectations and you will probably be happy.
Well expectations are getting something that is actually a working unit and serviceable for a few years to come.

I've seen some floor model Weber grills at hardware stores that are surprisingly old, but that makes sense because the features of a kettle or Summit gasser may not change for many years. Not sure I'd buy a "new" appliance with that kind of age on it, but I understand your dilemma of wanting another of what you've already got and like.

I've seen some floor model Weber grills at hardware stores that are surprisingly old, but that makes sense because the features of a kettle or Summit gasser may not change for many years. Not sure I'd buy a "new" appliance with that kind of age on it, but I understand your dilemma of wanting another of what you've already got and like.
Yep, I know other than one setting (for water hardness) the machine has not changed in any way since it's introduction. And that is how they show water hardness. On the older ones it's numerical 1-5 IIRC. On the newer ones I think since 2019, it's 3 steps, "soft, med, hard". The only thing I THINK may have been updated hardware wise though is the carafe. I have noticed reviews less than 3 or so years old noting how well the coffee stays nice and hot for 2 hours or more. In my case (and noted in reviews that are older), the complaint is that in only about an hour time (no matter how much you pre-heat the carafe), you have to call on Mr Mic to heat your brew up a bit. So maybe on the newer carafes they upgraded the seal and insulation. Otherwise you cannot tell any differences. Which (the carafe thing) is about the only reason I am considering buying a new one. Though I guess I could simply buy a new carafe and see (only about $65 compared to $330 for new machine LOL). Only worry here is I knew I took a little chance buying an older one. Just to see if I liked the "concept" of the machine overall without needing to spring a lot of $$$ right off. As I know I can always simply throw this one up on Marketplace, Craigslist, EBay or so on and at least get nearly (if not all) I paid for it. Which is why I am a little hesitant to buy a new carafe. Because what if I spring for new carafe and then the machine bonks in short order soon after?

Just thinking maybe saving $130-$150 is not really worth it as who knows if after sitting so long it's actually able to function normally?
I have always trusted the spirit of our third president Thomas Jefferson when decisions like this need to be made. His likeness is on our 5 cent piece, the nickel.

Heads: buy the old coffee maker

Tails: pass

In all seriousness, I do use this method and have generally had great success.

When important decisions need to be made, I think it through and don’t bother consulting old Tom.

Good luck

Personally I would go for it. Not sure about the warranty but sounds like they are built well enough to take the risk in place of a warranty.

I have always trusted the spirit of our second president Thomas Jefferson when decisions like this need to be made. His likeness is on our 5 cent piece, the nickel.

Heads: buy the old coffee maker

Tails: pass

In all seriousness, I do use this method and have generally had great success.

When important decisions need to be made, I think it through and don’t bother consulting old Tom.

Good luck
I do as well, but the one I was checking out is a year older than the one I have. So if they did do an upgrade to the insulation, now I am stuck with 2 older carafes that don't hold heat. Of course there could be a simpler reason for the quick cool off. The lid may be worn or not sealing correctly. And sadly they don't sell only the lid

One good thing, if these are the same, is that you may be able to use one for parts if something does happen to fail at some point (not the carafe, of course).

Call Brevillle and ask them about the warranty with this issue you’ve outline. Easier to get the answer than to guess.
This is the right approach, logically. You have me eying a water leak controller. I found the desired detail on the Moen Flo but not on the YoLink unit. I received prompt replies but my questions were not answered. After the second attempt I gave up.

Back