how often do you replace your grates?

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,

My grates are looking pretty black and have a little rust despite cleaning before every cook. I'm wondering how often people replace their grates?

Well... only having my WSM for a couple of years, I haven't replaced my grates. If past experience is any indication, I won't be replacing them anytime soon, since my 30+ year old Weber kettle still has its original grates.
icon_redface.gif

When the plating is worn off and they are starting to rust is usually a good time. I suggest you store the grates indoors between uses to keep them from rusting though.

Ah, storing indoors. That would be a good idea.

I've found a replacement for the top rack (w/ the handles) but no luck on the bottom rack. Any idea where to look?

Jeff -
Don't think of that stuff as gunk, think of it as "seasoning".
When my get real grubby, I light a fire in one of my kettles and toss the WSM grates right in the fire. Burn the caked on stuff off, wire brush them, spray with some oil, and put them back in the WSM.
The grates in one of my WSMs are 27 years old and have never been replaced to my knowledge. (third owner mod)

Jeff,
I've had my WSM for almost 2 years. I use it almost every weekend. I think my grates are in better shape than new. I'd like to say they are well seasoned. I clean em with a brass brush when I start a new session only, never after. I'm thinking this protects them. I noticed cleaning got easier after a few cooks.

Don't imagine I'll be replacing the grates on my 2 year old Performer anytime soon; I wash mine after every cook (anal I know) and store them in my garage. They look great!

When I was trying to keep my grates really clean I was having problems keeping the rust away. It would appear that my cleaning process was doing as much harm as good, and I was replacing grates often. A little black grease keeps the rust away. These days I just knock of the bulk of the gunk after a cook and during the heating of the next, and all is good.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n... too many choices!
Gary

Back