How often do you check your ribs?

I agree with Kevin -

When I say "check" the ribs - at different points in the cook, I am looking for different "signs" of how things are progressing:

At the first check (visual) I expect to see signs that cooking is under-way, juice and bark starting to form. This is a quick one, where you can usually tell if things are progressing as anticipated / too fast / or too slow.

Subsequent checks, I am looking for the meat to start shrinking-back from the bone ends, and do some poking. (After a while, you can sort-of tell when you're getting close to the point where you should be checking for "tender".)

Also, if I flip them or pick them up with tongs to re-orient them, you can tell if they're starting to get "floppy" (when they shrink, you can reduce exposure to the higher heat around the perimeter of the grate).

So, upon further consideration - maybe the "eyeball" check through the vent-hole is less useful.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I cook ribs in 2 or 3 hours total, start to finish - but, regardless, looking isn't going to tell you anything. (What are you looking for?)

Feel, not temp, tells you when the ribs are tender.

Bark is a product of rub ingredients, the ingredients' texture, amount of application, and cooktemp. I do not care for rubs with much sugar (for ribs I make them at 10-12% sugar by volume - or less, which is much less than typical rubs, most of which are 40-65% sugar) and have no problem with bark formation. My guess is the rub you are using is too fine, too lightly applied, or both.

Not trying to hijack this thread but...

Kevin - what's your take on applying rubs to ribs? Some say overnight is best, but I have been applying rubs 1-2 hrs. before they go into my smoker. Does applying rub hours ahead of time cause them to dry out?

10 minutes before, tops. I salt the ribs then dump and light the coals for a Minion start. Then I make a rub - without salt. At that point the salt has drawn moisture to the meat's surface and I apply the rub over the salt, the moisture helping it to stick well. Then I dump the lit on the unlit, assemble the cooker and immediately load the meat in.

I see no point in rubbing the night before.

(Salting the meat first, separately, means you can easily control the amount of salt used and the amount of rub, since, as they are separate, one level does not affect the other. I make all rubs saltless and salt all meats first, separately.)

So many variables to consider. If 100* outside, about every 2 hours. How much wind? Is the grill wind protected?

If 40* OAT, I would not even think about checking till about 3 hours in. Any wind?

The whole idea is to maintain as steady a temp as possible. External conditions dictate this...for the most part.

As others have said, If your lookin', You Ain't cookin'
icon_smile.gif

I don't start looking at my ribs until around the 3 1/2 hour mark cooking around 250-260 degrees. I usually use a flashlight through the upper vent. I don't open the lid unless I have to. I also don't mop, turn or foil my ribs so opening the lid for me is not necessary.

Wayne

Used the flashlight the other night and found I didn't need to rearrange my half slabs in the six slot rack. I know I've used it before, but I appreciate the reminder.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by K Kruger:
10 minutes before, tops. I salt the ribs then dump and light the coals for a Minion start. Then I make a rub - without salt. At that point the salt has drawn moisture to the meat's surface and I apply the rub over the salt, the moisture helping it to stick well. Then I dump the lit on the unlit, assemble the cooker and immediately load the meat in.

I see no point in rubbing the night before.

(Salting the meat first, separately, means you can easily control the amount of salt used and the amount of rub, since, as they are separate, one level does not affect the other. I make all rubs saltless and salt all meats first, separately.)

I'm with Kevin...I rub while my coals are heating in the chimney then throw everything together. Also, I believe Kevin and I share the idea of not bringing the ribs to room temp before putting them on.

I usually check at 3 hours in since I don't foil, and then I sauce at the 5.5 hour mark. Total cook time around 6 hours at 250-275.

I cook my ribs at 265-275, no water, no foil. I check at 3.5 hours and I begin to check for bone exposure, looking for 1/4-1/2 inch pull back. Once at 1/4-1/2 I check again I then do the toothpick test. If it slides through without and pressure I pull them.

Back