How much to charge for used my 22" WSM

Brian A.

Sadly I must get rid of my 22" WSM. Its been used for about a year. And is very clean but dirty in all the right places. Condition wise about a 7 out of 10.

Just curious what I can get for it on craigslist. No one in my area (southeastern MA) ever sells theirs on craigslist so I have no idea what to charge.

Was thinking $225 or $250 but don't want to price it too low if it is worth more.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well, it would cost them $400 + tax for a new one. So, see if someone wants to save $50-75. Maybe start high and if you get no bites, drop it $15-20. I'd probably start asking $325-350.

In this market for $300 it may sell after a long stint on CL.
If you want to move it faster, you'll want to go lower....set the price $20-$25 higher than your lowest price.

Personally, since Weber is very good to original owners, I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it, unless it had some good aftermarket mods like the CB door or Unknown BBQ dome hinge.

If you're in no rush, I agree with starting a little high. Maybe even throw in a tease like a bag of charcoal. increases the buyer's perception of value.

Great advice here, but your selling price will be locally (or regionally) dependent. Used 22.5" WSMs in good to excellent condition (meaning no rust, dents, etc.) here in metro Atlanta start at $225 and go up from there. I've paid anywhere from $130 to $250 for the 3 used 22.5 WSMs I've purchased. The $130 was an extreme rarity, and just happened to be perfect location and timing (10 mins away). Used it a few times and sold it for a $95 profit.

You don't really know what someone looking to buy at that time is willing to pay. The only way you will know is start high and work lower. It's hard to the other way. It comes down to how fast you want to move it more than how much is it worth. It's worth different amounts to different people. I wouldn't price it on what I was willing to pay, I'd price it on what I hoped to get, two distinctly different scenarios.

Thanks everyone. Threw it up on craigslist this morning for $300 but expecting to get some lower offers. I don't need to sell it immediately so I will let it sit up there for a while.

You don't really know what someone looking to buy at that time is willing to pay. The only way you will know is start high and work lower. It's hard to the other way. It comes down to how fast you want to move it more than how much is it worth. It's worth different amounts to different people. I wouldn't price it on what I was willing to pay, I'd price it on what I hoped to get, two distinctly different scenarios.

Good point.

keep in mind, it's BBQ season so your demographic of buyers is more now. I just sold my vintage 1995 WSM 18.5" with all the mods to a friend for $125 (I know I could have gotten more $150-$175 if listed in CL).. yours being a 22.5" should go for $225-$250 (around these parts anyways)

Back