How much time between Brine and cook

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
This morning I had to get up at 5am and brine a boat load of Chicken just prior to cooking them. After the cook had completed I sat down and did my usual "lessons learned" where I asked myself "why can’t I brine the chicken the day before the cook and then let them air dry overnight in the refrigerator?" Will this work? I am concerned that air drying the chicken all night in the refrigerator might dry them out and eradicate the entire benefit of brining.

That's exactly what you should do. The air drying in the fridge will help the skin crisp up and will not negate the brinning at all.

Al

That's always been my preferred method. I actually have a four inch computer fan in the second fridge for those times I'm in a hurry.

For what it's worth, I've recently been dry brining chicken. Put it on the counter, dust with kosher salt (well more than one would season with). Let it sit an hour or so, rinse and pat dry. Then season as you normally would. It still incorporates the magic of salt on meat without as much mess. I don't think it tastes any worse, and is perhaps better.

Back