How Much Sauce for Ribs

Drew Crook

I'm cooking ribs and chicken for about 110 people at a golf tournament (not using a Weber). I've done this before for about 60, and just guessed at sauce, but with this many I'm a little worried. Do any of you have a formula for figuring out how much sauce to provide or a rule of thumb? While I'm asking... how much rub (I will be using rub on both the ribs and chicken)?

Since I know all of you are enthusiasts, I'll give you some details. I am a Smokey Mountain Cooker fan and that's all I bbq on. I'm cooking at a rural golf course in Tennessee. The owner is a BBQ fan and dabbles in it himself. He's built a huge cinder block smoker with iron top and doors. The fire is off set and he burns pure hickory from a local farm. In fact he starts the fire the night before, so all I have to do is show up and start cooking. Last year we had fewer teams so I pre-cooked the ribs on my Weber and then finished them there. But since his set up is so nice I'm doing it all there. The smoker even has a second rack that is on a pulley system that raises and lowers. I would guess the smoker including the fire "box" measures over 15 feet long and say six feet wide, with the top coming to about seven feet. It's sweet!

Sounds like a cool cooker and a fun gig.

I figure 3/4-1 c sauce/slab, 3/4 c sauce/chicken if halved, 1 c per if quartered; 1/3 c rub/slab, heaping T rub/chicken.

Note: I never sauce ribs during cooking or before serving. I serve sauce on the side only so the quantity noted is based on this. The rub quantities do not include salt as I don't include salt in most rubs; I salt separately first (I often brine chickens). I virtually never low/slow chicken. The rub quantity reflects a total; a portion of some of the rub ingredients gets mixed with butter and goes under the skin, the rest sprinkled on the surfaces.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the reply... I usually have a vat of sauce that I dip the ribs in after they are done cooking and right before I serve. I do this with half and leave the other half dry. For the chicken, the end of the smoker right next to the fire gets pretty hot so I cook the chicken there at about 350 or so. Last year the chicken was the surprise hit, very crispy and spicy combined with the hickory flavor.

Drew, how did this cook turn out? That sounds like a bad AZZ cooker, any pics? I hope you are not one of those who post, get the info you need and run people?
icon_frown.gif
Man I hate that crap.
icon_mad.gif

Back