How much rub to use when pulling pork

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
Hey all, long time no post.

I have never used additional rub when pulling pork but thought I might experiment with it this weekend.

For those who use rub in the pulling stage, how much do you use? I imagine it could be quite overpowering if you use too much.

The finishing sauce is a recipe I got from this site a long time ago, a 1:1:1 chicken stock / butter / BBQ sauce (probably Stubbs Original or Smoke Daddy)

Thanks!
Matt

never added rub to the pork after pulling but I'd go light if I did. You don't want to disrupt the flavor of the smoke and pork. If you add to much all you'll taste is fresh rub.

Personally, I don't add any rub, but that's just my preference. I put as much rub on the butt as I can before smoking, and mix the pieces of the bark in when I pull it.

If it needs some salt, like if the butt is a big 'un, dissolve a little salt in AJ or whatever you might use as a "moisturizer", ie Carolina sauce, be it E or W.

I always think you have to consider who you're cooking for. I often end up with a bunch of kids, and they love my Pulled Pork, and that's because it's on the mild side. Thinking about it, though I could always put a small bowl of rub that could be put on a sammie exactly like pepper.

I've used sauce cut to 50% with water but never used rub. I think the rubs I use are fine for smoking raw pork but would overpower cooked pork.

Actually, Mike Mills of Peace, Love & Barbecue talks about his rub, he calls it Magic Dust, as a condiment. Providing it in a shaker is really starting to intrigue me.

I do like mentioned here and add like salt n pepper when I do add it. Kind of like salting fies just dont go to nuts and taste as you go.

I just started to use what is called a "finishing rub". I just take whatever rub I like and grind it up very fine in a coffee grinder and sprinkle it on the meat. I have thought about doing this for quite some time but just started to do so. Im liking it.

Thanks much for the advice...I'm going to do 1 butt with rub added, and the rest I'll do my normal way. I'll see what I like best and report back.

Back