How much pork butt should I buy?

About twice as much as you need cooked. In a mixed crowd, 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person is average consumption. Two average-sized butts should fill your needs. With leftovers.

The answer really depends on the kind of people you're serving. 13 men are going to eat considerably more than a ladies bridge club.

For butts, I figure 40% loss between raw and finished. From a seven pound butt, you'll get maybe four pounds of meat. Allowing four ounces of finished meat per person, that butt would provide approximately 16 portions.

Go ahead and cook a second butt. It won't take any longer than doing just one and you'll be assured plenty of leftovers.

Enjoy!

Ken

Greg, I'd cook as many as you can fit on. Maybe 3-4. That way when you're done you can freeze the remainder. You'll be more than glad you did later on.

The way I see it, you will need 13 lbs of raw meat to be on the safe side. Here's how it works:

13 lbs of butt will yield roughly 6.5 lbs meat.
If the average sized portion is 1/2 lb per portion (2 4oz. sandwiches), then to feed 13 people you need 6.5 lbs of cooked meat.

1 lb raw meat = 1 person fed

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
About twice as much as you need cooked. In a mixed crowd, 1/4 to 1/2 pound per person is average consumption. Two average-sized butts should fill your needs. With leftovers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug is correct. 2 weeks ago fed 40 adults and 10 kids on 17-18 lbs of two uncooked butts.

Cooked 4 butts total (gave one away as a gift, froze the other) and both butts were used up. Also had chicken as well, but most people preferred the butts anyhow.

Two butts is plenty for 13 people. Even smallish (6.5 lb'ers) will leave you plenty.

Sure, they'll fit. They might touch a little at the beginning but will shrink in time. Try to leave a small gap between them if possible.

Back