How much meat can you fit????

Jeff Vandenberg

TVWBB Member
I have been asked to smoke up some brisket and pork butts for a block party. I thought there would be so much meat I would have to roll out the old Brinkman side box (pardon the blaspheme) in addition to my reliable WVB. However, it turns out I have 25 pounds of pork butt and 33 pounds of brisket. How much meat have any of you been able to fit on your bullet? Any suggestions for fitting this all on in one smoke? Any further suggestions for moderating the temperature? Any help is appreciated!

Have you checked out the Increasing Cooking Capacity link?

I use the BGE grid extender, and will be using it this weekend to do 4 butts and a brisket. I put the brisket on the bottom rack, then 2 butts on the top rack, and 2 more butts on the BGE rack up top. I've considered buying another one of the grid extenders so I could put it on the bottom shelf and do 2 briskets and 4 butts.

Todd, There is enough room between the rack and the BGE extender to fit a butt? Awesome. I will check a few local suppliers of the BGE to see if they have the extender. The other fixes on the page you referred me to are doable, but I am getting lazy in my old age.

Easiest thing to do is do up the Butts ahead of time, the day before. Leave them whole wrap em up good in heavy duty foil, and reheat then pull to serve. Briskets take up a lot of space. You can do up to 8 Butts on the WSM with the 2 stock racks and some tooth picks. Briskets on the other hand, varry so much in size. If you had 2 small - medium ones on the top rack and one on the bottom rack, your going to be about out of space. IMO brisket DOES NOT reheat very well. I know people say that it does but not in my book. While the brisket is wrapped up in foil and resting in the cooler for the 2-4 hrs you can reheat the Butts. HTH, Bryan

When all is said and done, I went with Ken Johnson's modification. Only a small variation as I will use the extra grate on the top. Two butts down below and the briskets up top. It...just...might...WORK!!!!!!! Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Back