How much Charcoal Per Hour?

HE Etheredge

TVWBB Member
How much charcoal do you use per hour on the 18 and 22? All the experts, give us amatures some help (asking in all humilty to those who know more). I love this site. Thanks

Fuel usage all depends on so many variables - using water/sand/nothing, what's cooking, at what temp, for how long, weather - that there's no standard burn rate.

"Amatures" should just load up the ring full and not worry about it. Any unburnt fuel can be reused on the next cook.

With experience, you'll learn when to go with a half-ring or full-ring or anything in-between.

Remember - "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

You certainly do want to run out of fuel before it's done!

I'll second what Travis said. Load that sucker up,then close all the vents down when done. You'll learn how your WSM works.and be able to judge from there!

Just be careful, if the WSM is really new, closing all the vents at the end might not put out the coals. So if you load it all the way up you might lose what you want to save after your cook is finished. Just happened to me.

Plus, if you take your time and pack the charcoal in the ring, you will have much more fuel than if you just dump it in. I just learned that little beauty. Don't know why I wasn't smart enough to figure it out on my own.
icon_redface.gif

Back