how much charcoal do i need for the minion?

Sean S.

TVWBB Pro
I know i have to fill up the holder, but is that a full 18lb bag of kingsford? a little less?

i just don't want to have a 'surprise' friday night...
icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by Sean S.:
I know i have to fill up the holder, but is that a full 18lb bag of kingsford? a little less?

i just don't want to have a 'surprise' friday night...
icon_eek.gif

It depends on what you are cooking as to how much fuel you need. For butts I fill the ring up which is about 10lbs of KF or 7 of Lump, for a brisket I will fill the ring up to 3/4 full and for ribs I will fill it up half.

Rule of thumb, always put a little more in the ring than you think you will need. It's easier than having to add more and fool with temps later!

Just under half should be fine to last the 6 hours or so for St. Louis ribs (3-2-1 method). Just be certain to not start the Minion with too many lit coals. Depending upon the weather 8-12 lit coals will prevent the temps from going too high and will also save fuel.

Larry,
For my last cook of St. Louis ribs I used 1/3 ring with 14 lit coals. Held temp perfectly for 6 hours. It also somewhat depends on weather conditions, especially wind in my experience as well as whether you are using the clay saucer mod (which takes less fuel I've found). The advice to use a bit more than you think is worth it in the end.

Back