How much can you get for a Spirit?

Jon: I would offer the $195. All he can do is say NO. If you can get set of RCP grates in the process, I think you would have a good deal. That would put your cost for the rest of the grill well under $100 and it doesn't look like you would have to do much if anything to turn it into a flip aside from replacing the grates. I don't think I would even bother to paint the knobs unless they are stained. IMO, it would just be something that might chip off down the road.

If he says no to $195, let him sit with it a while then offer it again....or be prepared for a little bump with his counter offer. Tell him you have a $200 budget for a grill.

Meanwhile .....my newer Spirit is still here. I agreed to take $125, only for the guy to
back out this morning. Jeez, I can't hardly give this thing away.

Why does every hate these?

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess. But I can clean up an old Silver A, include a tank with it, and get $100 to $125
every day of the week. It just really makes no sense to me.

Probably not. We've done the expensive luxury cars in the past. The prius fits our needs quite well. And 50 mpg is so nice.

Yeah me too. Every time I have driven a Prius I just shook my head and wondered "WHY?" would they make something this weird? Sorry, but I just found them awful and BTW I LOVE Toyota products

To each his own. The Prius fits a bill as does the Toyota Camery. However, you don't pay as much for a Prius just like you won't find people to pay as much for the Spirits. That is the point of the thread.

LMichaels your comment made me laugh. I'll admit the prius is kind of weird and takes getting used to. But it's the best car we've ever owned. As i get close to retirement I value things that are cost effective and practical. The prius fits the bill there.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread....

Well, whatever some may feel about Spirits, that one sold fast! I guess someone saw the excellent grates and the three burners Genesis in hiding. I was tempted but it was a good ways away and I need to focus on what I already have:eek:!
Almost finished a Master Touch Kettle today, and you will see some other posts hopefully soon of what little time I have been able to put into grill restorations .

Even though you missed that one I am sure another will come along and catch your eye. ;)
Ever since I started looking at grills I have ran across 6 that I should have jumped on but thought, so I need another grill right now? (The answer is you always need another grill!)

On a side note is there a thread for: is this a good price to buy this grill?
I think that would be a good thread/post as I come across some grills and I am not sure. But I don’t want to post a new subject each time I find one. ;)

A quick answer is that a “good price” depends on what your purpose is. If you are buying to keep and use, then paying something in the range of this Spirit is fine if it is something you really want. I was willing to pay more to get a Skyline hood for example. But, if you are buying to flip, price is everything.

There is an upper limit on what you can sell a used grill for. You have to evaluate the price of the grill with how many parts it needs and how much labor you will have to put in. There are so many deals out there (even sometimes half decent FREE ones) that you shouldn’t pay a whole lot. But one that has a high proportion of good parts and little rust is still worth more than a bomber. And, while you can’t get too sentimental about flipper grills, you should seek out ones that have more market appeal. We discuss that a lot, but it seems the consensus is that either the real classic Genesis with wood slats or the newer 300 series grills sell the best. Silvers and Spirits are not as easy to flip, but a Gold or Platinum might be different. I personally would totally avoid Summits.

Jon sums up the "good price" dilemma pretty well. Except that I have been having great luck reselling my Silver B's. I think I sold one Genesis 1000 and 4 or 5 Silver B's this summer. Of course, I have 5 more 1000's sitting in my driveway. I guess part of it is just that rehabbing the Silver B's is easier with the thermoset tables vs the wood and durawood on the 1000's which has to be replaced in many cases.

Plus when determining good/bad price, you have to take your local market into account. I have people telling me that they cannot get as much for a rehab in their area as I seem to get most of the time.

As for posting a new thread for good price vs bad price, I don't see a problem with it. It keeps it from getting jumbled up with discussions of other grills.

Last edited:

Back