How many?

I would go between 20 and 25 pounds, assuming a few size and a mix of regular appetite adults.....(I say that because I have some friends who would eat a lot more.....). You'd be very safe with the 30 pounds you suggest.

Clark

Cooking ten ounces of uncooked pork butt per diner will end up being pretty close to the popular recommendation of six ounces of bbq per diner. Coincidently, turning four eight pound butts into bbq seems to be what the wsm is best at.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I would think 30 lbs should be good, although like Dave said I don't think 32 would hurt (4 @ 8lbs)
icon_wink.gif
I usually get a little over a 50% yield from my butts so at 6 ounces a piece it would put you right around that.

Good luck!

30~32 lbs would be about right if you have plenty of sides.

32lbs raw ÷ 2 = 16lbs cooked × 16oz/lb = 256oz ÷ 50 ppl = 5.12oz each

You might consider going with 40lbs if you have some big Q eaters, or want to make sure there are some leftovers for later.
icon_wink.gif

I only have a 18" but a quick search shows that 4 will fit easily on a 22". Dann B says he was able to squeeze 5 on one grate.

Originally posted by TravisH:
30~32 lbs would be about right if you have plenty of sides.

32lbs raw ÷ 2 = 16lbs cooked × 16oz/lb = 256oz ÷ 50 ppl = 5.12oz each

You might consider going with 40lbs if you have some big Q eaters, or want to make sure there are some leftovers for later.
icon_wink.gif

You should get a little more yield than 50%.

Back