How many of you use a Guru or Stoker?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
my post on the minion method took a life of its own but one thing that came up was use of the air controller/temp systems. It peaked my interest and thought i'd inquire as to whether most of you use such a device or whether it is used by very few, and perhaps mostly the competitive folks. I'm not opposed to getting one. While my temps are fairly controllable, I wouldn't mind not checking it very frequently

Originally posted by Davidd:
my post on the minion method took a life of its own...

That it did.
icon_confused.gif

You'll find a lot more info in the ATC section, but basically they're an effective way to get very timely and predictable results, despite weather conditions...without having to make vent adjustments. I don't think there's any good science to support claims that a steady 235* or whatever is what you need for superior bbq, but you will sleep better....and it would be nice to have something with a fan to blow on the coals if it starts raining at 4:00 in the morning.
icon_wink.gif

Davidd.
I don't own one, but the thought has crossed my mind dealing with Chicago winters.
If you haven't already checked out this poll you should. Not alot of votes so-far but it seems to be running 50/50.

Tim

I swear by it.

Coals get lit, Guru gets plugged in, and I am 100% done even thinking about the temperature.

ATC systems are definitely not necessary, but I find it very comforting that I never have to deal with vent positions. Plus, overnight cooks are a super easy when you never have to worry about your temps.

Given I live in New England and smoke year round, trying to figure out where the vents should be during the various seasons just isn't worth my time.

Guru is the best money I've ever spent.

Don't use one, not worried about my finish time as I will adapt to that in the latter part of the cook to finish when I need it to. I see nothing wrong with them, it all depends on each individual and what they want. If I was doing competition I would use one though!

Bought one several years ago, used it a few times, then quit and never did again.

I find vent positions quite predictable, and do not care what happens at 4am - I never get up to check the cooker. When I do get up I check - and make adjustments, if any, at that point. I do not care if temps were steady all night, if they fluctuated, or if, in the morning, the cooker is 50? higher than target or 50? lower.

very timely and predictable results

This is a biggie, also the longer burn time and easier clean-up (compared to using the water pan heat sink). I always hated carrying that oil slick out to the woods to dump it - usually would end up dumping some on my shoes!

I have a guru and love it. With 2 small kids and getting set up for parties, mowing the lawn, whatever, it's nice to have "someone" paying attention to the pit and the meat. It really turned my 22" WSM into a smoking oven. Very predictable and I am very pleased with the results. I also run a Maverick so I just put the remote in my pocket and I don't have to keep running to the pit to check the meat every 10 minutes. When it beeps, it's done. Some may say that it's cheating or not real "BBQ" if you are not there with the pit but I am interested in results with the least amount of attention on my part. I use them for 12 hour cooks of pork butts, 4 hour brisket cooks and even just the Maverick of high high heat 1.5 hour cooks of pit beef. Love them both and would buy them again in a second.
Tom

Originally posted by Mike_M:
I swear by it.

Coals get lit, Guru gets plugged in, and I am 100% done even thinking about the temperature.

ATC systems are definitely not necessary, but I find it very comforting that I never have to deal with vent positions. Plus, overnight cooks are a super easy when you never have to worry about your temps.

Given I live in New England and smoke year round, trying to figure out where the vents should be during the various seasons just isn't worth my time.

Guru is the best money I've ever spent.

No need to repeat, so ditto. I've had a Guru for 3 years or more now. Excellent tool for a no worry cook. Especially long ones or when you don't have the time or want to worry about checking etc. Say if you will be running errands, shopping working in the kitchen another project, etc. Don't have to worry about checking if it rains. Great for inclement weather, etc.

I don't use it all the time, but quite often, thank you.

And I'm good at fire control. It's not necessary but a great convenience.

I built my own and really only use it for competitions. At a comp I'll run two WSMs overnight and I simply can't leave anything to chance. I will set it to wake me up if the cooker temp gets too high, too low, or the controller loses connection with the probe. Someday I'll get around to writing the software to 'watch' the meat temps along with the cooker and wake me up if the meat breaks stall.

At home it's not as important so I generally don't use it. I like to keep in practice with the fire control in case the controller dies.

Russ

I have a Guru and love it. Takes so much worry out of it. I live in Minnesota so the temperature outside in July can be 100 and in January can be -10 but with the Guru I never have problems holding a consistent temp. I can cook without it but just enjoy the piece of mind having it gives.

I do not have one as of yet, but it is on my christmas list. I can get my 22.5" to run 8 hours without a 10 degree change up or down almost every time. I will not buy an ATC until I feel that I know my cooker and every little nuance that it has. I know a few cooks who can't cook without an ATC anymore and I don't want to be that guy. Just my 2 cents.

Don't have one and don't want one. I've found the performance of my WSM to be reasonably consistent. I prefer overnight cooks and am convinced they generally turn out better because it stops me from fussing with the cooker.

Originally posted by Robin C:
Don't have one and don't want one. I've found the performance of my WSM to be reasonably consistent. I prefer overnight cooks and am convinced they generally turn out better because it stops me from fussing with the cooker.

Good advice and agree IMHO, and I love my Guru and Remote Temp Probes
icon_smile.gif

I was cooking/Q'ing without either for years. Knowing fire control and your base equipment is key knowledge. Play first understand the cooker and how to control temps manually.

Timothy, thx for the link to the poll, that's exactly the best way to address my question. I did not realize the poll was out there. New poll so responses have been limited but i will follow. thx again

Originally posted by Davidd:
Timothy, thx for the link to the poll, that's exactly the best way to address my question. I did not realize the poll was out there. New poll so responses have been limited but i will follow. thx again

I have an 18.5 WSM that came with the adapter for a BBQ Guru fan. I contemplated taking the adapter off and learning to cook without an ATC, and I contemplated getting some electronics. Still haven't used the WSM (trying to find a bone in pork butt in Ottawa that isn't really expensive is turning out to be like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack) and I still haven't decided what direction I'm going to go. I am leaning towards the ATC...

guru user here.

i live in the midwest where weather can change drastically within hours. (not to mention harsh winters)

the peace of mind, and the ease of sleep that i can get while doing overnight cooks is priceless. TOTALLY worth the investment.

Is it needed? No. But sleep isn't really needed either right?

I use the Auber Temperature Controller for Charcoal Barrel Smoker.
For the first several months with my wsm I manually adjusted vents and learned to get a steady temp but living in West Texas and battling windy conditions got frustrating. I do like to keep a fairly consistent temp and on overnight cooks with winds varying by 10 to 25mph it was almost impossible. Had my maverick waking me every two or three hours. Not fun.
The auber makes my life easier. Set it and go to bed. Next morning still sitting on 225 +/-about 5 degrees. Want to smoke during the day but have things to do. Set it and leave.
I still like to tend the smoker but when I need to do something or sleep it is nice to know that the smoker is being tended to.

Steve

I use the IQ 110. It's perfect for me. It doesn't have the features of the Guru or the stoker but for me its simple and bullet proof. If I was going to get into competitions I'd most certainly look hard at those two but for now I'm extremely happy with it.

Back