How many cooks before it doesn't run hot?

L Weiner

TVWBB Member
I started my third cook today, pork butt. I used the minion method. 17 lit coals, 3 chunks of wood under the first layer of charcoal and 2 chunks on top. The temp got up to 255 pretty quick so I had to shut all vents and eventually closed a good portion of the top vent to get it back down to 235. I'd really like to keep it around 225. Also, I used a water pan about 75% full. Thoughts?

It should be getting better about now.

When you are bringing the cooker up to your target temperature, if you see it rising fast, start closing the bottom vents right away. It sounds like you are waiting too long to cut it back which is resulting in the overshoot.

If your target is 235F, I'd start closing them off at around 200F and then slowly bring it to 235F.

Good luck.

Bob

Try less lit, like half that amount maybe 8 or 9 briqs.
Also chunks on top of the lit? Those will ignite and cause a temp spike.

Tim

Try less lit, like half that amount maybe 8 or 9 briqs.
Also chunks on top of the lit? Those will ignite and cause a temp spike.

Tim

Chunks on top of the unlit. Though I think there is a temp spike from the chunks, but that is my theory. I am going with about 12 lit next time. I got it down to 235 now.

Give it about 10 cooks and a nice build up of "gunk" and you shouldn't have to babyst it so much. In the mean time, the fellas have some good advice for you by closing vents early in anticipation of your target temp. Remember that 225* is just a target. You have to be willing to let it ride within a range. It will climb and fall within that range. It will not stay at 225*. I figure anywhere from 225* to 275* is good with me.

Temperature control does not come naturally. It has to be learned and takes several cooks to get comfortable. There are many variables that play a role and my suggestion is to keep as many variables the same for each cook until you get comfortable. Use the same types of charcoal, use water in the pan every cook, use the same thermometer/temp probes, etc. Once you get comfortable you can start experimenting with different types/brands of charcoal, cooking with a dry pan or sand in the pan, etc. The biggest problem for new cooks is realizing that temps react slowly to changes. You need to make changes WAY BEFORE they are necessary. If you are shooting for 225* and using the minion method then you'll start with a handful of lit coals (depending on outside temps). I usually open my vents all of the way to get the fire burning. As I approach 200* I start closing down my vents so all three are cracked open. I can then judge (this is where experience counts) how much to open each vent to reach my goal temp.

As complicated as it may sound, it really is simple. It just takes time to learn. Keep cooking every weekend and you'll be an old pro before the summer! Good luck and happy smoking.

Russ

Russ thanks for the advice. I think I have been not gradually closing as I reach 200 vs, trying to close it a bit at 200 and it keeps going...Good news is I have been hanging around 235-245 for the vast majority of the cook thus far. I am sure it'll be great!

Mine made a big difference after adjusting the door so that less air came in after just the first cook. As others have said, start adjusting at least 25 degrees before the target. I don't use a water pain, just a clay pot, and after just three or so cooks I was able to hold it in the 225 area with no trouble, usually just one vent open about a third. I usually run it higher at 275 or so for ribs, but last week did some beef roasts and wanted it to cook low and slow at 225 to break down the toughness of the beef, but still keep it med. rare................d

i am about 10 cooks in and notice a difference between the first few and the more recent ones. like others have said so much goes into it (wind, quantity of meat, water/clay pots in pan etc). cooked chicken yesterday with no water/clay pots and struggled to get temps above 250.

I did my first ever smoke on Saturday (ribs and pork butt) and didn have any hotness issues, but it was around 32 F outside so I guess it helped. Had actually some problems to bring the heat up again after loading it full with meat. I used full pan of hot water... But once it hit 225 it was there steadily.

Now its time to thinkig what to do next weekend,since some of the friends who were over notified immediately that they are coming on next weekend as well.. :wsm:

Welcome from Finland Janne. This stuff is addicting. I have to think about whats next to cook all week then finally decide late Friday evening. There's just to many good options on here.

Do you have the 18 or 22? The reason I ask is that my 22 runs hotter than the 18. To solve I've used the charcoal ring for the 18 on the 22 and burn less charcoal and keep temps down a bit. Next I'm gonna try using charcoal baskets from kettle.

Back