how many chickens

IMG_2313.jpg

three fairly large birds, per rack, works. Just be sure to rotate them after an hour or so. I figured I sit them with their breasts in so that they wouldn't over cook before the thighs were done, however when the thighs were, done the breasts still had a looong way to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">j
How did the skin come out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

like leather.

a quick primer on skin (from my own observations and some discussions with kevin, but blame me for any inaccuracies)

skin can be rubber, leather, crispy, or tender.

rubber skin is basically under cooked, resulting from low temps that never drove off any of the water or rendered the fat

leather skin results from low/med temps for extended time. the skin dries out, fat renders out but over a long period, so it never gets crispy

crispy skin results from high temps rendering the fat at high enough temp that the water boils off and the skin gets properly cooked

tender skin is basically crispy skin that got soggy.

these birds were in the wsm longer than I wanted due to the under cooked breasts, plus the temps never got up where it wanted them. so the long med temps merely leatherized the skin.

if you notice I slashed the skin some to help with brining, rubbing, and smoking. These birds were destined for tacos anyways.

Great looking birds J. Skin can be an enigma, that's for sure, and the window between stages is pretty small it seems. I usually shoot for crispy skin, but tender is not my enemy either, since I usually glaze with the Sriracha/apricot wing sauce from Larry. Either way, both skins are edible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Skin can be an enigma, that's for sure, and the window between stages is pretty small it seems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

tell me about it. The thing that I find interesting is how certain stages are irreversible. once you hit leather, and in some cases rubber, there's nothing you can do to get it crispy.

for comps, I heard about crisping your skin first, before any other cooking. I guess the reason is that after that point it can only be tender (not crispy...but not leather or rubber either). I think its a solid technique. I haven't tried it yet, but as I contemplated an order of take out wings that were once crispy skinned and now tender skinned, I decided it has to work.

Back