How many chicken halfs

Danny Parker

TVWBB Member
Only done one cook on the WSM(butts)and was wondering how many average size chicken halfs will fit on the smoker at one time. Can you use the bottom grill or is it to close to the coals.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I would say 6 on top and 6 on bottom depending on sizes.

The bottom rack is actually a little cooler than the top rack so cooking will vary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Danny Parker:
Only done one cook on the WSM(butts)and was wondering how many average size chicken halfs will fit on the smoker at one time. Can you use the bottom grill or is it to close to the coals.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you can use the bottom rack. I think 6 halves per rack would be crowded, but it will depend on the size of the chicken like d says. I've only done a couple at a time, so I don't know for sure. I would definitely think you could do 2 chickens per rack, though.

Comfortably, I do 4 chicken halves per grate on the WSM. Even then you have to kind of arrange them so they are touching each other or the sides. I just don't see how you could get 6 a grate unless they were cornish hens.
Disclaimer:I am also NOT the guy you want packing the old moving van, so take this with that in mind.

I usually do 4 halves per rack, I could probably squeeze in one more if I had to, but I usually don't like to crowd the grill that much. I usually use 3 to 4 pound chickens.

Back