How many butts on 18.5 wsm?

John B

TVWBB Pro
I am headed to a family reunion next week in Idaho, and I have been designated to smoke some butts for pulled pork. There are about 80 people, and I thought about 6 butts would do it (too much? not enough?). I had planned on taking my masterbuilt electric because it is easy, and I have four large racks in there. But I got to thinking that I could probably get 3 on each rack in the WSM, and that would be more fun to use. How many have you guys got on each rack before?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Binns:
I am headed to a family reunion next week in Idaho, and I have been designated to smoke some butts for pulled pork. There are about 80 people, and I thought about 6 butts would do it (too much? not enough?). I had planned on taking my masterbuilt electric because it is easy, and I have four large racks in there. But I got to thinking that I could probably get 3 on each rack in the WSM, and that would be more fun to use. How many have you guys got on each rack before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done 6 BIG butts on my WSM and didn't really have any issues. In the beginning they may be touching but after an hour or so, they will shrink enough to give you sufficient airflow.

47b5d831b3127ccecb00f9b762300000001.jpg
47b5d831b3127ccecb01b1b6c3690000001.jpg
47b5d831b3127ccecb008948e3c70000001.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Binns:
I am headed to a family reunion next week in Idaho, and I have been designated to smoke some butts for pulled pork. There are about 80 people, and I thought about 6 butts would do it (too much? not enough?). I had planned on taking my masterbuilt electric because it is easy, and I have four large racks in there. But I got to thinking that I could probably get 3 on each rack in the WSM, and that would be more fun to use. How many have you guys got on each rack before? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have done 6 BIG butts on my WSM and didn't really have any issues. In the beginning they may be touching but after an hour or so, they will shrink enough to give you sufficient airflow.

47b5d831b3127ccecb00f9b762300000001.jpg
47b5d831b3127ccecb01b1b6c3690000001.jpg
47b5d831b3127ccecb008948e3c70000001.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That bottom picture is great! It's almost like it's one piece of meat!

John, when I do 6 butts on the WSM, I secure them with bamboo skewers pushed thru the top corners. It takes 4 skewers per rack, with the middle butt getting skewered from both sides [??]. This seems helpful if you have wider butts [yea, I know]. Bone side down. For me, this just helps keep them from falling. HTH & Good Luck.

Last weekend I cooked 4 that averaged 7 lbs each on the top grate for a graduation party. I stood them on their sides and it worked fine.

Cool pics!

My only warning would be if you're using the empty pan, or pan with sand/saucer, keep an eye on the drippings. 6 big butts might drip enough fat to overflow the pan and cause a grease fire!
icon_redface.gif
Not fun, nor good for bark!

Dann, I've cooked 6 butts at least 3 times now, and I just use a foiled pan, with no clay, and have never had a problem with the juice overflowing the water pan. Just be sure to foil within 2" of the bottom of the pan. You won't need a saucer because the meat will act as your heat sink. Happy smokin'!

I think I am going to use water on this one, since I am going to be away from the smoker for a few long periods, I just want the extra insurance. I picked up a brinkman pan last week, so that should help it go a while without any help from me.

I ended up smoking 8 butts (just put them on an hour ago), so I needed a little more room. I wanted to use the WSM, but the Masterbuilt electric won out due to capacity (4 racks, about 900 sq inches). I need to sell it and get the 22.5 WSM ...

B. Kaylor.

I am also planning on smoking 6 butts on my 22".

how long have your 3 sessions averaged in total time, to help as a guidline

I am planning on 6 butts averaging 6.5-7 lbs taking about 13 hours. Taking into account the initial drop of putting the meat on.

Marc, I would say that you are about right on your time. My last cook,6 butts, 56.5# of meat on an 18.5"er at 250* - 270* went for 15 hours. The 1 before that was about 52#'s, and went just past 13.5 hours. [this is where the memory fades in & out a bit]. Like they say, all butts are different!

I'm sure that you can do them all "on their backs" and not have to put them on their sides.

Good Luck with your cook!!

Hey B!

Appreciate the reply. I got up and had them on by 3:30 this morning. All six fit perfect on the 2 racks. They got up to 210 within 30 min and have been maintaining 230 for the last 3 hours with all bottoms at 25% open. I will crank it up just a bit but it's been a steady smoke so far. Used 40 briquettes to start up the minion.

Feeling good and hope that our church fund raiser is a success, would love to do more of these.

Take care

Back