How long will turkey keep in freezer? (cook pics added)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieson S

TVWBB Fan
Last Thanksgiving, I bought an extra 22lb turkey (Jennie-O Frozen I believe) that has been sleeping in my freezer ever since.
I wanted to smoke it this weekend just to get rid of it. Should I expect it to be in good shape still? It has been in my freezer for about 9-10 months I'd say.
Jamie

Jamieson, It should be fine. I pick up a lot of Perdue Oven stuffer roasters when they are buy one get on free. Have kept them in the deep freeze for up to a year with no problems. Bryan

Turkeys that have remained frozen since day one in the original packaging are supposed to be just fine for up to a year. After that they are still safe, you just begin losing some quality in the flavor and texture.

I don't recall every having one around for quite a year, but I have brought them out of hibernation after 8-10 months with no problems.

Well, smoked the 22.5lb turkey on Saturday with a dry water pan, two chimmneys of burning Kingsford and a few chunks of hickory. Held the temp betwen 325-350 for maybe 4h20m, then pulled it off. Pics linked are of the brid when I just put it on the smoker, then whn I was just about ready to take it off.
Was delicious
icon_smile.gif

http://tinyurl.com/69ny9

Jamie

That looks good. I've never cooked that big of a turkey in my WSM. I think the probe from my bimetal thermometer mounted in the dome would hit the bird.

You can put the turkey on the lower cooking grate with the upper removed and this provides ample vertical clearance.

Paul

OMG I bet that was fantastic! Turkey is something I really want to try on WSM. I'm amazed such a large bird fit and cooked so quick. The old family oven method wasn't very good, cook low forever and end up with a pile of sawdust (but outstanding stuffing). Nehow, I've been buying fresh free range turkeys for a few years now and they are SO good, well worth the extra money IMO. Cook em hot, fast, breast down. Tender and juicy like chicken. If you are passionate about turkey give em a try!

Cheers

Well, the turkey fit quite easily, no issue at all with clearance on sides or top. I use a 6" therm with a clip through my vent hole and had no issue with it touching the bird.
I kind of like it on the top rack as it makes getting it on/off the smoker a bit easier as that bird was heavy!
Jamie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul G.:
You can put the turkey on the lower cooking grate with the upper removed and this provides ample vertical clearance.

Paul <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now why didn't I think of that ('cause I'm dumb, that's why).
icon_razz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back