How long to Cook my 15lbs. Prime Rib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Goin

TVWBB Super Fan
ok.. guys and gals (keri)

i want to eat around 4 - 6pm on Christmas...
what time should i start this beast,,,,, any suggestions........... I have my own opinoins........ but i want to check with the forum

Don't get ME started lyin'. I've never done prime rib on the WSM. I defer to the gentlemen who are wiser in the ways of smoke than I.

Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri Cathey:
[qb] Don't get ME started lyin'. I've never done prime rib on the WSM. I defer to the gentlemen who are wiser in the ways of smoke than I.

Keri C [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Keri posesses so MANY other culinary abilities that this one tiny detail can be easily overlooked!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

In the rib roast listed on the opening page, looks like the rule of thumb is 20 min per lb.
Plus the 20-30 min rest period.
Did my first rib roast last night, 7 lbs
plus, internal temp 126* took 2hrs 38min, lid temp at start was 325* during cook dropped to 295*.
If you run at these temps it'll eat some Kingsford.

Internal temp of 126* when removed from WSM was taken in center of roast and was more like med-med rare with ends of meat running 132* and a solid well done. Results were great, sliced in a large glass platter and had plenty of au ju.

so Matt - how long did it actually take? Saw your pictures, but you didn't describe the cook. I'm thinking about a 10 pounder and was wondering if the 20-25 min per pound still holds. If so, that would mean yours took over 5 hours.

The 20-25 min/lb will work but you have to keeop the temp up between 300 and 325 F. Still best to use a thermometer and remove between 125 and 130 F. Hope everything works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back