How long should I expect a pork tenderloin to take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wesley S

TVWBB Super Fan
We have a 1.73lb pork tenderloin I'd like to experiment with on our charcoal grill. I'd like to do an indirect cook over water pan at 225-250 degrees.

I'm just curious as to if I started the coals today around 4:00 what time I should expect it to be ready?

thanks guys.

I may be wrong. But I don't think Pork tenderloin is a good piece of meat for cooking low and slow. I think it's actually better if it's cooked at higher temps like grilling it.

I could be wrong though. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

It's vacuumed packed. What I normally do is wrap the whole thing in bacon and then butter the inside of some foil. Put it on the top grate and let it cook at high temps (450ish) for about 2 hours and it comes out GREAT.

I was just looking for some tips to try something different. If you guys have some good ones please feel free.

With that method, it seems it should certainly stay moist, even at that high cooking temp. Bacon and butter-- yikes!

Back in the gas grill days, I used to get those Hormel pork loins, which, in addition to being pre-seasoned, are also brined, and therefore sometimes taste a little hammy. I used to cook them indirect just with a water pan under the meat. The upside is that the brining makes them very forgiving as regards cooking time and temp, so they cook up well whether grilled high or low &slow.

I use the butter lightly but the loin is totally wrapped in bacon. Man you can cut that sucker with a fork when I'm done.

I'm thinking of leaing the foil open today and try to get some wood chunks to see how much flavor that will add.

I love doing those Hormel pre-seasoned Pork Tenderloins in my WSM, but I do them at a fairly high heat, somewhat like Turkey or Chicken. I average around an hour per pound, just enough to get them up to ~155F, and then take them off and let them rest. It generally only takes an hour to 1.5 hours, and I hit it pretty good with smoke during that time. I usually throw a couple in when making poultry, since I've got the temps up higher in those cases.

Enjoy!

All I have is hickory wood chunks and I've tried it with pork chops and it was pretty good. Whats the best wood to go with these loins?

I'd say go with the hickory. They shouldn't be in too long, and if you like the taste of hickory-smoked pork, I think you'll like 'em. Maybe just a couple of chunks for a sustained light smoke, since hickory is pretty stong stuff.

I think I'll do that today. Leave the foil un wraped and let the smoke flavor soak in /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Darn, it's making me hungry here at work. Glad I only have 30 more min till I start prepping the meat /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

It wasn't bad last. Had a good flavor. I love the taste of the bacon after it's cooked. I wish there was a good way of getting a lot of flavor to the center of the meat. Does injecting really help with that? I've never tried injecting anything so thats new territory for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back