How long of a cook

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Im cooking 5 pork butts and they need to be done around 3 pm tomorrow. Im using my 3 tier system so they all will be on together.

Any ideas how long? Im thinking if I put them on around 10 tonight they will be done around 3 tomorrow.

Jim,it's better to put them on early and hold for a little while,than to sweat whether they will be done on time. You didn't say how big the butts are,but 1 1/2 hours per lb is a guide line only. They will be done when tender,not until. HTH

Jim, I've done four at a time a few times now, and like to start at about the same time as that(10:00pm) to have for supper the next day, with my Maverick (at vent) set to wake me up if temp gets out of the 215-265 zone. This keeps me within 200-250 at the grate.

Anyway, doing five for the first time in about a week. You cooked five before? I've got forty pounds of pork butt in the fridge and I'm wondering if all that meat is enough of a heat sink to skip the water. If it was winter, I probably would skip the water. I use Stubbs briquettes. What's your "three tier" system? I've heard of using skewers to stand three on end on a rack, but I'm probably gonna be leaning three against a beer can chicken rack. I'll put the largest two on the bottom rack.

Ive cooked six at once several times but it has been about a year ago and Im a bit out of the swing of things.

I will find my old post about the three tier with pictures.

I use a BBQ Guru so I ball up foil and put it in the water pan with a sheet of foil over it. So I dont use water at all

Jim,

I have done mutiple butt(s) cooks and have learned there is no diff in cook time per lb once you get to your cook temp. However getting to your temp will take alot longer with that load of meat. I would skip any heat sinks, just a foiled dry pan will do.

Keep us posted sir
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Done several four butt cooks, about 32 pounds total, but never done 40 pounds (5 butts) like I'm doing next week.

I don't have a stoker though, so I'll probably do it just like I always do it: Brinkman pan full of boiling hot water and let meat sit out for a couple of hours before putting on the pit at about 10:00 pm.

Jim I did six (total 50 lbs) several weeks ago on my 22.5 WSM and was planning to start at 10PM the night before (Saturday night), but just to be safe started at 9PM. They were done by about 1:30 PM (Sunday afternoon) and I wrapped them in double foil and towels in a cooler and held them 'til 5:30 PM, pulled them and served at 6:pM. Worked great. Good luck.

Jim, that looks like a stock Weber rack on top, and I'm thinking there's not much wiggle room to putting the lid on, but you got used to it?

How much is it raised above where the top grate would normally sit? I'm thinking this would be the best set-up for cooking a bunch of chicken, especially.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Dave

I dont know about cooking time, but have plenty of charcoal on hand and a way to have another fire going. I tried 4 butts overnight and it used a lot more fuel than cooking two like I normally do. Good luck with it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Lanier:
I dont know about cooking time, but have plenty of charcoal on hand and a way to have another fire going. I tried 4 butts overnight and it used a lot more fuel than cooking two like I normally do. Good luck with it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find that letting the meat come near room temp and filling the pan with boiling water really helps when you're gonna have a full cooker. One load of Stubb's charcoal should do it as long as protected from the wind and elements.

Jim,

I have always cooked 1 or 2 butts and I will be cooking 4 this Friday night. How much longer did the WSM take to get to temp ? Also, do you have 18 or 22.

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Jim, that looks like a stock Weber rack on top, and I'm thinking there's not much wiggle room to putting the lid on, but you got used to it?

How much is it raised above where the top grate would normally sit? I'm thinking this would be the best set-up for cooking a bunch of chicken, especially.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just pulled the meat off the smoker, double foiled it, wrapped in towels and into the cooler. Talk about perfect timing. They will be pulled at 6:30. The temp was 190 and the meat was literally falling apart as I took it off the grates. I love when the pork actually candies to the grates...a special treat for me.

Thanks for all the advise and comments. I will clean the 3 tier and take a picture with measurements.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Babek:
Just pulled the meat off the smoker, double foiled it, wrapped in towels and into the cooler. Talk about perfect timing. They will be pulled at 6:30. The temp was 190 and the meat was literally falling apart as I took it off the grates. I love when the pork actually candies to the grates...a special treat for me.

Thanks for all the advise and comments. I will clean the 3 tier and take a picture with measurements. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like that thin layer of meat between the fat cap and false cap better than prime rib, so if it sticks to the grate, oh well. I can eat with tongs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back