how long for four butts?

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,

we're having 30 people over on sat night, was thinking about four 8 pound pork butts. Was thinking I'd like to pull them off the wsm at 7 and pull at 8pm. So I was thinking about starting them at midnight Friday at 250, that will give me 19 hours of cooking time...probably too much time?

actually, I'd ideally pull them at 5 to make way for some wings...but then I have to get the pork cold and re-heat...ideas?

tia,

Last edited:
19 hours is to much cooking time. When I cook butts, it takes me about 8-10 hours with no foil. When I use foil, I would say about 6-8 hours. What do suggest is to pull your butts off 3-4 hours before serving them. Wrap the butts in foil, then with an old towel, and then place them in a cooler until you want to shred and serve. This way you wouldn't need to reheat the butts, and it would give you the availability to use the WSM for some wings. These times are base on me only doing 2 butts at a time. I wouldn't think that adding anymore butts would increase the time by that much.

What size is your WSM? If using a 22" you probable can fit all the butts on the top grate. If using a 18", then put 2 butts on top grate and 2 butts on the bottom grate.

Thanks Ryan, it's been a long time since I cooked multiple butts but I recall 2 butts taking quite a bit longer than 1. And isn't 3-4 hours too long for safe holding?

[QUOTEAnd isn't 3-4 hours too long for safe holding?[/QUOTE]

Not as long you don't go under 140*. I have held a butt that long before. Still it was hot enough to make my hands feel the heat.

Back