How long does homemade BBQ sauce last?

Ryan Gala

TVWBB Member
So I have been making the miss piggies BBQ sauce an it is my favorite. How long will it last in the fridge before it goes bad?

I guess it depends on the ingredients.I usually keep mine for a week in a sealed container. Any thing longer I will freeze.

Tim

Ive always questioned the whole week thing. If you look at what most people put in homemade BBQ sauce its all things that last forever in your fridge or cupboard for the most part. Im just wondering if the heating and reducing thing effect their stability. I freeze mine as well but always wondered if I need to. Also what do commercial sauces do differently to last so long in your fridge? Ken

I agree with you ken.You think that it would last as long as the ingredients you put in would last on their own.

You think that it would last as long as the ingredients you put in would last on their own.
It does. However, how long depends on acidity (and in some cases salt or sugar concentration). Sauces that are made in such a way that the acidity dramatically decreases will not last as long.

How long something lasts - i.e., doesn't spoil - is not the best question, imo. Rather, how long can quality be maintained is more germane. For best quality, typical Q sauces are fine for a week, maybe two, before quality starts to decline. At first, depending on the sauce, it might not be so noticeable, but it becomes so the longer it is exposed to air - especially when some often used ingredients are included like meat drippings, oil, butter or other fats, et al. Freezing is an excellent way to preserve quality.

Originally posted by Ryan Gala:
So I have been making the miss piggies BBQ sauce an it is my favorite.

All I can find for this sauce is store-bought. No recipe (on this site) that I can find.

Do you have a recipe for it?

[/QUOTE]
Freezing is an excellent way to preserve quality.[/QUOTE]

A stupid question but I have limited my freezing so far to items placed in a freezer bag/vacuum sealed bag-can sauce be placed in a glass jar such as a mason jar and go into the freezer?

Originally posted by Len Dennis:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ryan Gala:
So I have been making the miss piggies BBQ sauce an it is my favorite.

All I can find for this sauce is store-bought. No recipe (on this site) that I can find.

Do you have a recipe for it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I would like a recipe too please.

Thanks
icon_smile.gif

I'm with the above on longevity vs. ingredients. If you introduce less stable items like cooked drippings you will shorten the shelf life of the product. How long? I don't know. If I use bacon fat I would use the same rule I use for the cooked bacon. When it goes. the associated products should go. Simple sauces like the No. 5 should store longer as the ingredients are fairly neutral in singularity and don't have significant affect when mixed.

I guess my opinion is, go with your gut, but not literally.

JDH

I found it on this site under the sauce section.

Try this one. It is my personal favorite. It has some heat so be careful.

Miss Piggy Mustard Sauce

1 cup Mustard
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Brown sugar, light
2 tablespoons Chili powder
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon White pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Hot sauce
1 teaspoon Soy sauce, dark
2 tablespoons Butter

Combine all ingredients except soy sauce and butter. Add the vinegar last. Add to your desired thickness.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and add butter and soy sauce.

Stogie

That looks like a tasty sauce. Has anyone made it to comment.

Regarding freezing, Ball make plastic canning jar with one piece lids. These look promising.

As far as keeping in the fridge, I am in the camp that without butter or drippings a few cup batch will keep as long as it will last. The last I have made I call a fine wine. Keeps getting better with age (few weeks)

Forgot to mention you should cut the hot pepper ingredients in half or even more. I like hot stuff but when I made the batch my first time it was just too hot for me so add those spices in small quantity till you find your heat level

Ah, I found that one but your original title didn't include "mustard" in the title and I thought it was a different one.

Thanks for confirmation.
icon_smile.gif

I have been making this sauce for about 5 years now and have tweaked the recipe a few times. I cut the cayenne pepper down to less than 1/4 teaspoon for a single batch...kids don't like it so hot. Also, I use the vacuum sealer on the jars and have had no issues with taste quality after 2-3 months.

Originally posted by Steve Whiting:
Freezing is an excellent way to preserve quality.[/QUOTE]

A stupid question but I have limited my freezing so far to items placed in a freezer bag/vacuum sealed bag-can sauce be placed in a glass jar such as a mason jar and go into the freezer?[/QUOTE]

Steve, if you put the sauce in the freezer bag standing up in a container, in the freezer until mostly frozen, then put a paper towel on top of the sauce and suck the air out, all will be well. I however usually just put liquids in a Tupperware type container and freeze. Stays fine for moths and you could vacuum seal the Tupperware for a longer hold time.

Mark

I freeze in glass all the time, just fill it up to the same place you would if you were canning in a hot water bath or pressure canning, Ken

Back