How long do Kingsford charcoal last?

Michael L

TVWBB Fan
With the Home Depot deal on Kingsford going on right now, I'm thinking of stocking up. However, my only concern is whether or not they'll last until I use them all. I know people on this board still use charcoal from last year's Memorial Day sale. So how long would you allow a bag of unopened Kingsford to stay in your basement before you deem it unusable and toss it out?

I just used 1yr old blue bag that was unopened in my garage elevated off the ground with no problem. I also used a 1 year old bag of opened competition left in same place with no problem. Ken

Without question it will last until next year's memorial day sale, so stock up until then. That's what I did last year and this year: just enough to last the year. This year's sale came with 4 bags left so I bought 16 more bags. I have no worries at all about them lasting, nor should you. Good luck.

Like Ken said, keep it up and off the ground. Charcoal stored in the paper bag on concrete, will suck up the moisture like a sponge.

Tim

I don't buy as much as many of these folks, but picked up 4 pks, 8 bags and stored them 2 bags at a time in 54 gallon plastic garbage bags. Have done this for yrs and never had a problem with lighting, burning, etc.

Iam in Michigan and this last Holiday I used a bag a K I forgot I had and it was atleast 5 yrs old ! It was stored on the floor of my garage all that time . There were NO issiues at all using it in a over night cook . just some FYI...

As long as it is kept dry, many, many years, as in 10+ years.
icon_wink.gif

Back