How long can you keep Q meat in the fridge before you Smoke?

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I'm just curious. If I buy a steak, chicken, or ground meat I usually don't wait longer than 3 days. I've pushed it to 5 but the meat tasted kind of off by then. How long can ribs, butts, brisket stay in the fridge before they start getting nasty?

I just go by the stale date. It's good for at least a few days past the "sell by" date. If yer talking brisket in cryovac, I believe a butcher told someone on this board that it would keep for a couple of months if well chilled!

From the USDA Food Safety & Inspection Service:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Cook or freeze fresh poultry, fish, ground meats, and variety meats within 2 days; other beef, veal, lamb, or pork, within 3 to 5 days. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Meats purchased in Cryovac packaging can be held longer, but it's hard to know how much longer unless you know when it was packed. Your butcher may be able to tell you the packing date from information printed on the case box and advise you on how long it can be refrigerated before it should either be cooked or frozen.

Regards,
Chris

I usually buy my pork butts in Cryovac, then freeze them. When I get in the mood for Q, I move 'em into the fridge.

At that point I'm comfortable waiting a week before I smoke, but I bet I could go a lot longer, especially considering it was half frozen for much of that thawing week.

I like to freeze chicken and pork the day I buy it if not being cooked within 24 hours. Buying beef by the case is cheapest way to get it and freezing does not do any harm IME. Beef can sit in crovac for 30 days at below 35f. It's called wet aging.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Konrad Haskins:
Beef can sit in crovac for 30 days at below 35f. It's called wet aging. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The question is, from what date: The date it was packed, or the date you buy it? I think it's from the date it was packed, but I don't recall ever seeing a packed date on a Cryovaced brisket. I do think you'll find it on a case box, though.

Someone more knowledgeable, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Chris

Back