How long can pork butt and brisket be kept in the freezer?

Rich_S

TVWBB Member
It's getting cold around here, so I don't think I'll be making any more BBQ this year. I have a brisket and a twin pack of pork butts (all in cryovac) in the freezer from this past May. Looks like I won't get to cook them till next Spring. I'm not worried about the meat spoiling, but will the flavor and texture noticeably degrade from being in the freezer for a year?

Rich -
You'll probably get lots of replies about smoking in cold weather. Where are you located? I plan to smoke a few times this winter. I'm not sure there is a lower limit!

Check out Tomas' profile and pictures for inspiration. Tomas

I had a brisket flat in the freezer that I did for my folks in early August (their plans changed suddenly) and we took it to share with some friends out of town last week. It was sealed in a Foodsaver bag. Reheated in boiling water, removed from the bag, sliced and heated it a bit more in the oven in a baking dish covered with foil. Everyone thought it was great. It wasn't fresh out of the smoker great, but it was darn good. I've done the same with ribs. Pulled pork reheats well too.

I know the topic of reheating has been covered...someone got those links?

I notice Tomas recently checked back in the "Introduce Yourself" section. He has a link to his website where you can see a few more photos of cold weather smoking.

Meat can be stored for up to 12 months but that is at 0 degrees. So if the meat is in a stand alone deep freeze it will be ok but if in the freezer section of a refrigerator I wouldn't go more than 6 months.

So it's too late to smoke them up this year?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark C:
Meat can be stored for up to 12 months but that is at 0 degrees. So if the meat is in a stand alone deep freeze it will be ok but if in the freezer section of a refrigerator I wouldn't go more than 6 months. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. So what exactly happens to the frozen meat? Does it spoil or does the taste and texture just go downhill?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So it's too late to smoke them up this year? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm just being a wuss. If you're telling me the meat will go bad, I'll just have to have one or two more BBQs this year. It's not that cold yet.

I don't own a deep freezer but if I leave meat in the freezer compartment of the fridge too long it gets ice crystals and gets a bit burnt. Maybe because of the fluctuating temps that occur as a result of opening and closing the door over the course of time.

Cook then up now, vacuum seal, or wrap tighly in a Glad Lock bag, then eat over the winter. I usually try to do about 4 butts around Thanksgiving which will get me thru till spring (just not as much fun smoking when it's cold out).

Back