How long can Kingsford charcoal be stored? - find the answer here!

Kevin C.

TVWBB Member
Occasionally the question is posted here asking "how long can I store my charcoal?" Well, my Dad recently gave me some K charcoal that had been in his storage shed for a "long time" - he didn't know exactly how long.

I cooked with it last night, and it worked great! Did a high heat cook on the WSM, and ended up with an outstanding meatloaf. Meatloaf was done in less than two hours, but the fire was going so good, I decided to throw on a fatty. One full chimney of lit, along with a few unlit coals left over from a previous cook held 350-375+ degrees for nearly fours hours, and it was still going strong when I closed the vents to shut it down. Good ol' K is hard to beat!

Notice the date in the lower left corner of the first pic....the copyright is 1995....15 years old!! So the answer is..........you can store it at least 15 years! Just keep it dry of course.
1995_Charcoal.jpg

Here is a pic of the meatloaf. Had to sample it last night, but had most of it for dinner tonight. Yummmm!
meatloaf.jpg

the genuine original k was good stuff. why k changed it is beyond me. i only suspect that they started to use inferior stuff and charged more for it. since they changed i do not use k.

Just about everything changes to "cheap" to save the company money but they still charge the same or more.

Back