How does one remove the old black paint on the firebox and endcaps

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
I was wondering how some of you all remove the old paint of the firebox and endcaps, when sandblasting is not an option? If you could show pictures of your work, it would be helpful. Reason for asking. I lost the number of the guy I had found who does sandblasting for me.

image.jpgScreenshot_20240731_174025_Photos.jpg
screenshot_20240731_174213_photos-jpg.97039
Screenshot_20240731_175158_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20240731_181013_Photos.jpg
I like to use my DeWalt impact with several different style wire wheel attachments. Easy Peasy. Easy to control and works great.

Of course Sandblasting is a better option but this method works fine for me. I've done several and I like to do as much of the work as I can myself.

If someone offered to sandblast for me I definitely wouldn't turn it down though.

Ooh I had to upgrade my batteries. The little one in the picture definitely doesn't cut it.

Sorry I just realized I don't have any good pictures of the outside of the cook box and lid caps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240731_174213_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240731_174213_Photos.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Or run by the guy's place of business and get his number again.
I thought about that, but he is pretty far from me, but I think I just might have to make a road trip and see If I get lucky and he does it while I wait. He has done it for me in the past while I wait, but he usually likes for one to setup an appointment for he likes to do several jobs at the same time. If I do it at least I will get his contact information again.

As someone who's done that and been banged up, scraped up, bloodied up doing it. Not something I'd recommend personally. Gotta be better ways. Pus it can't be good for the impact mechanism to be used like that rather than doing what it's "supposed to do". Which is hammering on and assisting in the tightening or loosening of fasteners.

Thanks for your reply and pics of your work. I was just curious if it was everyone consensus, that using wire wheels is the best option. You do excellent work Josh. Great pics.
No problem Samuel happy to throw in my two cents. I've done several like this and don't see any reason to go a different route personally.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and pics of your work. I was just curious if it was everyone consensus, that using wire wheels is the best option. You do excellent work Josh. Great pics.

It's a viable method IF you have the physical ability (hand, arm, back strength) and stamina to do it. Also, what is your time worth?

View attachment 97026View attachment 97036
screenshot_20240731_174213_photos-jpg.97039
View attachment 97040View attachment 97041
I like to use my DeWalt impact with several different style wire wheel attachments. Easy Peasy. Easy to control and works great.

Of course Sandblasting is a better option but this method works fine for me. I've done several and I like to do as much of the work as I can myself.

If someone offered to sandblast for me I definitely wouldn't turn it down though.

Ooh I had to upgrade my batteries. The little one in the picture definitely doesn't cut it.

Sorry I just realized I don't have any good pictures of the outside of the cook box and lid caps
I’ve gotta find some quick change wire wheels! Impacts spin so much faster than drills

I can't tell from the photo, so IDK if that tool is brushless or not. If it's brushed something to be aware of. The fan on the tool will be pulling in metal dust from that type of work. Can wreak havoc on the brushes and commutator. A disassembly and cleaning would be in good order to perform.

I can't tell from the photo, so IDK if that tool is brushless or not. If it's brushed something to be aware of. The fan on the tool will be pulling in metal dust from that type of work. Can wreak havoc on the brushes and commutator. A disassembly and cleaning would be in good order to perform.
Yes it's brushless. I've been hard on that thing for over a decade. I'm sure I'll have to replace it at some point but its still goin strong and has served me quite well.

Last edited:
Yeah, simply attests to the toughness of DeWalt tools. I've actually known people who's tools have gone up in a big "flash" because of metal dust they were not aware of. Only reason I mentioned it. Obviously did not want to see anyone have a giant "flash" in their hand. It's not fun if/when it happens

Yeah, simply attests to the toughness of DeWalt tools. I've actually known people who's tools have gone up in a big "flash" because of metal dust they were not aware of. Only reason I mentioned it. Obviously did not want to see anyone have a giant "flash" in their hand. It's not fun if/when it happens
Thank you Larry
I always appreciate your input!

I have a set of the same DeWalt drills and impacts. I punish the hell out of those things for hours at a time taking hundreds of screws out for hours on end, multiple days per week . I just bought the two pack of the 5 amp hour batteries on Memorial day, for $160 (sounds high, but very reasonable for those batteries). The last time I did some bus panel replacement, I removed 200+ screws, and drilled 200+ holes thru heavy gauge steel, reinstalled 200+ screws, without killing the battery on either tool. I was quite impressed.

Back