How do you use your GrillGrates?

Alejandro DK

TVWBB Fan
Hello folks! I am very fond of my set of GrillGrates, I had been using them as the main grates on my Genesis Gold but I noticed in other posts that some people use them on top of the existing grates, I decided to give them a try and placed them on top of my CI grates, I didn't like the results, the CI grates block the holes of some of the rows of the GrillGrates and the grill's lid actually rests on top of the GrillGrates creating a wider gap. So my question is, how do use your GrillGrates? Stand alone or on top of the existing grate?

I have EP-330 and I have wall-to-wall grill grates that sit above the flavorizer bars.

The original stock 7mm rod grill grates are stored beneath the grill.

Mine replace the grates. I use them this way and flipped over.

Burgers on the flip side.

Last edited:
I just bought a set and had them cut down from 20" to 19 1/4" to replace my SS grates and fit exactly on to my E-310 special edition.

CS at GG said to size them at 19 1/4" so that the grill top/cover would close properly. they are thicker/taller than the original SS grates

Did my first cook with them yesterday , Lamb paddies, great grill makes and super juicy. I will try rib eye steaks tonight, can hardly wait.

On my Q's, I use them both ways, flipped over for burgers, and steaks get the famous GrillGrate grate marks. Chicken flipped over flat, and fish goes either way depending on my mood.

It's not a CI grate and no I didn't cut it. It's a stock grate that came on this Genesis platinum. This model came with a smoker box and 2 different size grates to fit. The other grate panel is the same size as any other geni with no smoke box. The grate you see here sits on the ledge of the gg. It might be about 1/4" to wide but I don't want t cut it to sit flat. Works well the way it is.

For those of you who have or are thinking of doing a wall to wall with Grill Grates, there could be an air flow problem. Weber designed our grills with a certain amount of air flow in mind, a wall to wall Grill Grates would change that flow. To what end I have no idea, however a call to Weber or Grill Grates wouldn't hurt. I have a Genesis S-330 with three GG panels and one stock ss grate that came with the jenny. This gives me a perfect fit without covering the whole grill.
I hope this will help. That's my intention.
Bill

Back