How do you light your Weber Chimney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In that case I'll offer my thanks to Keri right now. It was a great suggestion and now I'll be able to give proper credit.

Glad to see you posting today, Keri. Don't be such a stranger here!

Rita

Lol, what a great idea. This guy would never have thought of it. That's the first thing I'm doing Saturday morning.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
When I am at home, I usually use the sideburner on my gasser. If I am NOT at home, I use a weber parafin charcoal lighter on a piece of tin foil - much less ash.

others report success (little ash) with some "paper" torn off the charcoal bag </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

doesnt that leave ash all over you gas grill?

I use the upside down Weber chimney starter all the time for Minion Method starts.

I just put a single Weber Firestarter cube on the WSM charcoal grate, put the charcoal chimney upside down over that, put the briquettes in the top, and light. The cube is hot enough to reach all the way up to the top and light the briquettes.

This way I don't have to mod the chimney just for the Minion Method, while retaining the advantage of the original design for full loads of charcoal.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I use the upside down Weber chimney starter all the time for Minion Method starts.

Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have had a weber chimney starter for years and never thought to do that. i always put a small coffee can with both sides gone in it and it was always a pain. i just tried this method with a few oiled papre towels and it is so much easier. can't believe i never thought of that. also a small coffee can can be turned upside down with a weber cube on top and the upside down chimney fits right over it. the coals could be lit even faster with the cube closer to the charcoal that way.

I got these firestarter bricks for a fireplace from my local hardware store (package says no chemicals and that it's ok for bbq). For 7 bucks it came with 12 bricks that are each 2"x5". Using a pocket knife I cut them up into 1" cubes so each one gives me 10 cubes (or 120 for the package).

I place the cube on the grate, light it, then put the chimney starter over the cube with the cage kinda pressed against the wall of the chimney and then fill the entire chimney (both the newspaper and charcoal sections) up with charcoal. Takes 20ish minutes.

Hey all,

Not familiar with the weber starters - what do they look like ? Just checked the weber site and didn't see accessories.

I've been unhappy with the ash using newspapers and have come across a starter in Mexico that seems to work well.

My Spanish is almost non-existent yet from what I can gather the label says "Producto Ecologico, Biodegradable y no Toxico".

Used this for one cook on a small bbq and it lit well, fair amount of smoke. Guessing it's a paraffin base with a charcoal component. Brand is "El Indito" and it is in about a 3" x 3" square.

Anyone else use this before ?

I read somewhere on the TVWBB about using empty K bags torn up, instead on newspaper, I don't know if was this thread or another. It is windy here in Ft. Mohave AZ most of the time, I just atarted a chimney using a couple pieces of torn up bag rolled like you do with newspaper, and a couple of oiled paper towels, also a suggestion from here somewhere, and this works great!, even with gusty conditions the oiled paper towels lit easily, stayed lit, and were still burning after almost 20 minutes. Thanks for these suggestions. I have an old (useless for smoking ECB) I stand the chimney on its top grate while the coals get going, I also scavanged the water pan from the ECB and it makes a superior ash catcher pan on my 20 year old Bar B Kettle, and fits perfectly where the weber aluminum ash catcher usually goes. I think I got that bright idea here somewhere also. I also have a wooden 18"+ round that I place on top of the ECB when it is not being used as a chimney station, it make a great place to set your beer or other stuff nearby when gilling or smoking. What do you know, useful purposes for the ECB after all...

i've since this started gone away from the weber starter cubes. i now use diamond strike a fire. i break up the sticks into four pieces. each piece is more than enough to start the chimney. makes it cheap and easy.

kinda all over the place. grocery stores, camping stores, hardware stores, etc. wal mart sells a version of them in smaller sticks in the camping dept. look like compressed sawdust.

last year i was wadding up newsprint and fillin g the bottom of the starter with it. but ash was an issue on windy days. reading the forums hear someone was doing the cooking oil thing on newsprint. i tried it on paper towels and there is no ash flying around and ive taken to using 3 paper towels and a good amount of used cooking oil to light it off.

I used to use newspaper, then the propane torch, and now its the burner from my turkey fryer. This past weekend I was over at my sisters house and of course had none of my equipment so I used a combination of newspaper, dryer lint, stale corn chips, and twigs to get the grill going. Worked like a charm, had to use only one match. Imagine though that all of us here are like MacGuyver when it comes to fire starting.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
Where do ya'll buy the Weber cubes? I must admit I've never seen them around before.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I also use Weber cubes and I buy them at Home Depot - over in the Weber section. About 3 bucks for a box of 24 cubes.

I read the article in TVWB and decided to experiment. I took 3 short tin cans and punched holes in the bottom with a church key. Then I took a sheet of paper towel for each can and soaked them in vegetable oil. Cost is minimal and zero ash left over in the cans when you're done.

Two or three pieces of newspaper and a match. Never failed to light a chimney full of coals.

Now that I have a performer, I get lazy and use it's gas starter. I use it to light 10 coals for the WSM or an entire chimney for one of my grills. I only run the gas untill I see the bottom coals glow red. Then the gass goes off and the chimney does the rest of the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back