How do you heat up leftovers in vacuum sealed bags?

Dean Smiley

TVWBB Member
Now that I have my FoodSaver and have frozen packages of pulled pork, chicken, ribs, and the like, I was wondering how to re-heat these items. I have read somewhere about just dropping the bag into boiling water, but was wondering if there is a foolproof method. Do any of you have this perfected and are willing to share it? Thanks.

Dean

There is a lot to consider. The thickness, type of meat and volume of water are going to make a large difference between items and time. The most important thing is you reheat the food to a safe temperature and then worry about quality. What I mean is you'd rather over do it when reheating as you are getting used to it.

I seal up my pork very flat & wide so it reheats faster. The other day I did have an issue with some brisket slices. Normally I make sure each slice is flat and not on top of one another. Well one end of the slices got on top of another and I did my normal brisket method, pull them out, and although the top ends of the slices were perfect, the bottom was still partially frozen in the center.

For pulled pork I prefer to boil a large pot of water, drop the bag in, turn to low & place a lid on. For 1 lb & under flat bags ten minutes usually works for me. Thicker bags go 15.

The reason I vac-pack is because it's the best way and it will last in the freezer longer. Normally I let thaw in the fridge before reheating, except for burgers and sausage which can be grilled or smoked frozen if you know how. As far as bigger meats, I simply thaw and reheat in the oven or on a kettle or even gas grill indirectly of course. I bring brisket, PP and ABT's all the time into work and reheat in a toaster oven we have there. Tastes as good if not better reheated.

I thaw first then reheat normally also. I do whatever I would have done if I hadn't vacuum-packed and frozen in the first place.

I like to defrost over-nite in the fridge if possible. For smaller bags of PP I bring the water to a boil, shut it down, add the lid and let it set for 15 mins. For something like a stew,soup, chili I'll do the same but barely keep it on a simmer after those 15 mins are up. If need to I'll slice the bag open and use some of those SS refrigerator magnets which are like a chip clip to hold the bag upright against the side of the pot. ( wooden clothespins work in a pinch) this way you can still stir the contents if still cool in the middle of the bag.

Tim

I just did that exact process not 20 minutes ago and it was perfect for the ribs I cooked last night. Boil, turn to low heat, bag in for about 15-20 and voila!

Lately we have been reheating the bags in a colander which sits over a pot of boiling water.... steam heat !

I vacuum seal everything from fresh peanuts and coffee beans to my bbq meats. I recently cooked a 2nd whole brisket and sealed most of it up. Like others I thaw it in the bag and place the bag in boiling water. The meat is already cooked so it's just a matter of heating it up. Usually 10 minutes is tops.

Thanks for the great ideas, guys. I certainly have enough to get me started. Today for lunch will be a 1 lb. bag of pulled pork into the boiling water for 10 minutes.

Back