how do i smoke this bad boy? pic

Greg

TVWBB Super Fan
my buddy, ted, dives regularly for lobster off of the santa barbara coast. he brings these big boys like this 12 pounder back all the time-
lobster.jpg

so, he is always asking if we can throw some of these on the WSM but i never have before. i saw some ideas for grilling lobster in the seafood section, but nothing about smoking. ideas?

That's friggin awesome! It's huge!

Good luck, something that thick, you'll likely dry out the outer flesh before cooking the internal to temp if your not careful.

Indirect, low temp on the grill then finish direct. That's what I would try.

Else - boil or steam until just before done. Break down/split the tail in half and finish on the grill direct.

I love picking up the large lobsters at the grocery stores in MA/Cape Cod. They are cheaper per pound because locals prefer the smaller sizes as being more tender.

Cooked an 8 pounder last summer in the same manner (steam, then grill). Largest I've cooked this way was a 9 pound.

AFA as the larger lobsters being less tender - I just never experienced that "problem". Except maybe the very tips of the claw meat that tends to get rubbery. Other than that the main body of the claws are HUGE and TASTEY!! Much like large Alaskan King Crab.

Left overs are great in the morning with eggs/omelete. Left overs are rarely available though
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by r benash:
Left overs are great in the morning with eggs/omelete. Left overs are rarely available though
icon_smile.gif

Man, I must be a lobster snob.... leftovers? What are those?

icon_biggrin.gif

Josh

Originally posted by AL. T:
you dont smoke lobster
That's subjective and should be frased as
"IMO lobster should not be smoked".
But as I see it, you can smoke anything you want, since you are the cook, and hold all the cards.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
That's subjective and should be frased as
"IMO lobster should not be smoked".
But as I see it, you can smoke anything you want, since you are the cook, and hold all the cards.
icon_wink.gif

not that his response bothered me, it's just when you make a statement like "you don't smoke lobster" it should be backed up with WHY you should not do it. that's how we learn.

See Greg I read it all differenlty.

I thought it meant, you don't smoke lobster, but get your soul mate/wife/kid/employee to do it for you! Lobster for a King!
icon_cool.gif

I'd like to try to smoke lobster someday there is a recipe for it in the WSM user guide so why not right. Its just that for me lobster is such a rare treat that I would fear ruining and then I'd have to cry.

Now if you smoke it, oh wait you don't smoke lobster, if someone smoked a lobster for you, and you documented it, liked it, and posted it for all of us to see how to do it then I could be brave and try it someday.

THIS is how I learn
icon_wink.gif

If nothing else that picture rocked. One idea on that thing of beauty. If you were going to halve it why not grill up half and experiment smoke some with the other half? It mihgt not be a half bad idea
icon_wink.gif

Josh

josh,

in IL, i'm sure lobster is a rare treat!

he also has smaller 7 pounders, so we could try grilling and smoking to do a comparison. i will post results and pics!

That big boy looks way too big for even a 22" WSM!
icon_eek.gif
What kind of lobster is it?

What I would do is remove the tail and split it, then grill it over some mild smoke, meat side down. I would think that slow smoking would dry it out but, if you have easy access to them and they're free, go for it!
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Greg,

I just did a quick search and from what I can tell is the texture of lobster does not do well with the low and slow since it will over cook very easily. A few recipies call for grilling with some wood for a slight flavor if thats what you are looking for.

My humble input; I usually boil lobster and serve with melted, clarified butter. Problem is it makes a big mess in the kitchen. Sometimes during the summer months, to make clean up easier, I will cook the bugs on the kettle over direct heat. First split them and cook meat side up basting with a simple melted butter and crushed garlic sauce. As others have said I think low and slow would over cook the meat and there's is zero fat to keep the meat moist.

My 2 cents.

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
What I would do is remove the tail and split it, then grill it over some mild smoke, meat side down. Bill

Ditto.

Or you could throw it on the smoker and smoke for 5-10 minutes with a very mild (alder or fruit) wood and then grill. Kinda like a reverse sear for a lobster! Just don't overcook it!!

Just don't overcook it!!!!

Ok after some thought here is my recommendation: Come on guys think outside the box - you need a Hybrid solution.

Cook the lobster the regular way steam or boil.
Use the smoker to make a smoky dipping sauce or two. That way you get the best of both worlds and don't risk the meat.

Maybe a butter, herb, and hint fo garlic in a pyrex on the smoker or smoke some whole garlic cloves and add them to a butter mixture.

You can smoke your sides potatoes and such and you'd have good lobstah and the smoke kicker.

Man I'm hungry I have to try that....

I was not tring to be a jerk, I just thought that lobster takes short time to cook , and will soak up that smoke, you might waste what looks to me like alot of money. sorry.thats why i dont say much.always seem to stick my foot in mouth.

Back