How cold is too cold for a gasser?

I grill all year long. The wind is my biggest deterrent. If it's too windy for my canopy I move the show to our back deck. I'm fortunate I don't have to deal with snow, ice and the sub-zero weather like some of you folks do.

Many years ago when we were young, my brother and I grilled steaks on a Weber kettle at minus 19F. They were
great. I don't like the cold enough these days that I would try that again though.

My DH (who is an ex N. Yorker) has told me tales of when he was younger, he would scrape the snow and break the ice every winter and grill away. He doesn't have to deal with that down here in Fl. of course, but I will admit that there have been some days when it is just too stinking hot to ask him to grill for us. Also all the going in and out of the house just lets too much of the AC out of the house. lol But never fear, Chris and Weber, there are more good days for grilling than bad days. lol

That is a very good reason, I believe in family tradition. Thank you!!

We also do black cows.
black-cow-recipe-60-1360527976.jpg

I like to add a little bourbon, M'lady likes kahlua.

Tim

As the years advance I struggle between two voices, the one from my heart that says “cold weather? You can handle it” and the voice fro the rest of my body saying “uhh, I dont think so”.

The only problem I have with grilling in the winter is when the igniter button on the Silver B won't move due to ice - that's easy enough to work around, just have to use a lighter.

As the years advance I struggle between two voices, the one from my heart that says “cold weather? You can handle it” and the voice fro the rest of my body saying “uhh, I dont think so”.

That's a good one!! lol

Boy, I hear that! I won’t be “Polar Vortex” grilling this year, I may not be even opening the door!
That experience was pretty raw.
I may keep the “Owens Vortex” close by for a few things but, I have installed the cover on the “Overperformer” so, I can’t access the 18” pure 22” the rest of the season, for straight grilling WSM right inside the garage and can be brought out at the drop of a hat!

Root beer ( or coke ) vanilla ice cream, dollop of whipped cream and either chocolate syrup (drizzled over the top) or chocolate shavings.

Tim

Oh!! I vote for ROOT BEER!!!!!! Sounds good, thank you. Forgot all about root beer. One of my favorite sodas and I haven't had it in years. I have been on the Ginger Beer kick for quite a while now. Time to switch. lol

How cold is too cold would depend on the size tank you are using. And how full it is. Camping while hunting those 1 lb. canisters don't do well much below freezing. The 20 lb. standard grill propane tank when it is at least half full is good for the twenties below zero °F. At least on my older Genesis with Grillgrates.

49112230298_3d59794422_b.jpg

49112268278_6eb08c5cb2_b.jpg

At teens below zero the LCD display on my ATC for the WSM stops displaying but it still works. Just have to read it from the WiFi and it is more comfortable reading it sitting inside anyhow.

39238411574_580425da70_b.jpg

Now that I have turned the corner and am into my 60's it is me not the outside temperature that is the limiting factor. Can deal with the teens below for short periods of time but do not see me grilling or smoking in the twenties below anymore. But IIRC said that last year too. Was just looking at places to winter over in Az. a couple of hours ago LOL.

Not even so much for the camping anymore either spent 3 weeks in a cabin for bird hunting season this year. Hot running water and full kitchen. Still take the Jumbo Joe with me even though they have grills there it is just not the same as a Weber.

48955379063_fbdb88844a_b.jpg

That was 6 weeks ago and the snow finally started to melt after almost a week. Twenties above zero is child's play. Erh excuse me, I'm going to go look at those places in Az. again...

Michael, thank you, you have enough shrimp cooking for me, now what about everyone else? lol Just what is that white stuff? lol

It's not powdered sugar, Joan!

I think I have told this story here before but......one winter, DH and I just got in the car and headed north. We were looking for snow. Not sure where we were, but DH said, there's snow. I said, no, that's sand. We pulled over and found out it was snow. Ever since, DH teases me when we see snow on tv and says, look at all that sand. Now I am going to reply, at least it's not powdered sugar. Thanks! lol

Last edited:

Back