How are you removing / reinstalling weber white wheel rings ?

DannyG

TVWBB Pro
I know ive seen it posted somewhere but cant seem to find it.

Im thinking to remove the rings and paint the faded black wheels then put the rings back on.

Rings cleaned up nice, wheels are faded.

I’ve done a few. At first I was giving them too much of a tap with an iron hammer and I mushroomed the little studs.

As I evolved, I started using a wood block and gently tapping out the studs while rotating around the wheel to keep from breaking the ring.

For some reason the front facing wheel would be rough and the rear facing wheel in great shape

I’ve done a few. At first I was giving them too much of a tap with an iron hammer and I mushroomed the little studs.

As I evolved, I started using a wood block and gently tapping out the studs while rotating around the wheel to keep from breaking the ring.

For some reason the front facing wheel would be rough and the rear facing wheel in great shape

I actually used a small Phillips and pushed them very gently. I didnt want to poke a hole in them with the scratch awl.

I have sometimes lightly sanded the whitewalls before painting white again. They seem to deteriorate the most, given rise to a cottage industry of 3D printed replacements.

I did that as well. Actually I SOS'd them. They came out clean and smooth but I think the sos scuffed up the black (although they were faded anyway.

I have sometimes lightly sanded the whitewalls before painting white again. They seem to deteriorate the most, given rise to a cottage industry of 3D printed replacements.
I removed the white walls and wet sanded them with 400 grit sandpaper last time out. They looked pretty good.

Factory replacement wheels on ebay for 28 bucks a pair.

EDIT - Guys these are the wrong wheels - wrong size - these are 6" for a kettle. Thanks Steve for pointing that out ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240710_100600_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240710_100600_eBay.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Back